Skip to main content

Passionate about nutrition?


Or, are you in need of some nutrition guidance/help.

Have you ever been placed on a diet, been given (or ordered) a meal plan or told what not to eat by a nutritionist, health coach, triathlon/running coach or nutrition-passionate individual? More so, did you pay that person money for their service? Some say they are too busy or don't want to spend the money on obtaining the Registered Dietitian credential....some don't consider the risks (ex. healt...h of the consumer and individual possibility of being subjected to prosecution for practicing without a license) of providing nutrition advice without having the proper qualifications, education and knowledge. Although we have very strict laws (which I hope will get stricter in the new year) in the state of Florida, do yourself a favor... 1) be aware of who you are obtaining advice from if you are in need of dietary help (including "sports nutrition") 2) If you giving out advice, why not become a RD? You will NOT regret the challenging and mind-opening educational experience as it it the most valuable credential you can obtain if you are passionate about helping others. Please contact me with any questions.

Florida laws on providing nutrition: PART X
DIETETICS AND NUTRITION PRACTICE


I found this section vary interesting...
468.517 Prohibitions; penalties.
(1) A person may not knowingly:
(a) Engage in dietetics and nutrition practice or nutrition counseling for remuneration unless the person is licensed under this part;
(b) Use the name or title “dietitian,” “licensed dietitian,” “nutritionist,” “licensed nutritionist,” “nutrition counselor,” or “licensed nutrition counselor,” or any other words, letters, abbreviations, or insignia indicating or implying that he or she is a dietitian, nutritionist, or nutrition counselor, or otherwise hold himself or herself out as such, unless the person is the holder of a valid license issued under this part;
(c) Present as his or her own the license of another;
(d) Give false or forged evidence to the board or a member thereof;
(e) Use or attempt to use a license that has been suspended, revoked, or placed on inactive or delinquent status;
(f) Employ unlicensed persons to engage in dietetics and nutrition practice or nutrition counseling; or
(g) Conceal information relative to any violation of this part.
(2) A person who violates any provision of this section commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.


Want to learn more about your state?


I have received several emails from individuals passionate about nutrition, considering the RD route. I always enjoy helping others reach their personal weight and performance goals and would love it if all the "nutrition experts" out there would consider taking the route of obtaining the necessary qualifications to help the public.
Believe me, I was YOU (or someone you know) who was so passionate about nutrition and wanted to make it a career (or at least, make it part of my life). However, all I had was a Master of Science degree and a certification in sports nutrition (from the ISSN). I may have had the knowledge but I didn't have the credential. Lesson learned..I thought I had the knowledge but it turns out, my dietetic experience (specifically my internship) gave me a wealth of knowledge that could not be found in a book, a nutrition certification, a triathlon coaching certification an internet site or a blog...or even a bachelor of arts in exercise science with a minor in psychology or a master of science in exercise physiology. I am so ever-grateful for taking a little chunk of time out of MY life, in order to be qualified to help others.

New to my blog?

Check out my RD exam, "race" report