Skip to main content

2-minute coffee-cup omelet

When I got home on Sunday, I was ready for a real meal. I snacked on a banana, pretzels spread with peanut butter and water and Recoverite on my 2 hour drive home along with a necessary grande coffee (with a little milk) from Starbucks.

Luckily, my super supportive hubby had some leftovers from his "creations" earlier that day....
homemade mashed potatoes, cooked cabbage, potatoes and onions along with scrambled eggs with veggies, topped with shredded cheese.
It all went so well together in my belly.





If you are in the area on Wednesday, I will be providing FREE info at the Winn Dixie on CR-210 in St. Johns County. Finishing up National Nutrition Month, I will have handouts to learn how to "shape up your plate" as well as a few kid/parent friendly Trimarni creations (snacks and breakfast ideas) along with a sample of a variety of dark greens and how to add some "power" to the diet. I will help you understand how to read food labels, what to "watch" in food and how to enjoy a more wholesome diet.

Stop by anytime between 5:30-7:30pm and say hello! I will also have info on my services provided at SpaME for one-on-one consulting and my friend Aime will be discussing her personal training services provided with SpaMe.

Over the past few months, I've been working with several parents, seeking more quick, easy and yummy creations for their kiddos. Truth-be-told, the meals need to be quick, easy and yummy for the parents as well.

I realize that the morning hours can be rushed and we all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Often I find that people say "I'm so "good" until the afternoon and then the cravings hit and by the time I get home, I mess up and I'm so bad!"

First thing I look at it...breakfast!
1) What time do you eat in the morning....I recommend if you don't work out within 60-75 minutes of waking, that you start your day with something. Preferrably an emphasis on protein to keep the blood sugar in check. I find that people who eat something upon waking, feel more energized later in the day and feel more control over their eating.
2) Is your breakfast leaving you satisfied? If you are starving after work and believe you are overeating in the evening hours (either through high calorie meals or excessive snacking), it's likely you won't be hungry in the morning hours and may find yourself feeling hungry around lunch. Assess your current routine of eating and see if you can go to bed a bit hungry in order to wake up excited to eat a filling breakfast. I recommend a mix of whole grain (or high fiber carbohydrates) along with protein and fat.
3) Does your breakfast compliment the next two eating opportunities? Do you tend to snack on fruit around mid morning and then enjoy a salad at lunch? In that case, you have done an exceptional job of incorporating nutrient dense foods in the two eating opportunities after breakfast. If you find yourself lacking on fruits and/or veggies in the morning hours, discover what you can add to breakfast to make the morning hours more balanced. Perhaps bulking up your morning breakfast with fruit or veggies will give your body the electrolytes, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that your body is craving by afternoon.

I am not sure how I came up with this creation but this is for all those parents (and rushed parents) who need a quick breakfast, for on-the-go. I recommend to serve this protein and veggie packed breakfast with your choice of high fiber carbohydrate, whether it is a handful (or 1/2-1 serving) of Shredded Wheat cereal, a slice of whole grain bread (ex. Ezekiel), a serving of whole grains (ex. oatmeal, bulgur, barley, quinoa) or your choice.

Enjoy my latest creation..and I lied..it only took 1 minute and 45 seconds.

2-minute coffee-cup omelet

1 egg + 1 egg white
2 spoonfuls skim milk (or non-fat milk, do not use soy milk as that doesn't "heat" well)
4 broccoli florets (frozen)
2 tbsp frozen corn (frozen)
1/2 medium roma tomato (sliced)
5-6 spinach leaves (chopped)
1-2 spoonfuls chopped purple onions
Optional: Cabot cheese

1. Cook frozen veggies (your choice if you do not like my selection) in micrwave until soft (about 1 minute) - frozen, no salt/seasoning added are just as nutritious as fresh, if not more nutritious depending on the season and shipping of produce.
2. In bowl, scramble eggs, milk and all veggies. Sprinkle with your choice of no-salt seasoning (ex. garlic spice, pepper).
3. Pour in large (not the small, normal size, over 10 ounces) coffee cup (I recommend letting the kiddos pick out their favorite coffee cup to look forward to eating out of something special and "cool")
4. Cook in microwave for 1 minute with fork, scramble and cook in additional 15 second increments until eggs are firm and there is no remaining "juice". (do not cook too long..eggs may pop/explode in microwave!)
5. Top with sliced brick cheese.

(I removed eggs from cup so you could see what it looks like...I fun plate helps as well!)