Skip to main content

Eat your way to healthy with my Kitchen Casserole





In the latest Tufts University newsletter (April 2012, Vol 30, Number 2), there was an interesting NewsBites on the cover page.

Do you have any feedback or comments regarding this research?


Doctor's Own Weight Affects Treatment of Overweight Patients

Is your doctor overweight? The answer may make a difference t your own weight issues. A new nationwide survey of 498 physicians fins that doctors who are overweight or obese are less likely to engage their patients about the need for weight loss and feel less confident in their ability to provide counseling on diet and exercise.
The 49-item questionnaire asked physicians about their own body-mass index (BMI) as wel as their dealings with patients' weight management.
Normal-BMI doctors were more likely to say that physicians should serve as role models by maintaining a healthy weight and exercising regularly. And doctors' perceptions of whether patients' weight met or exceeded their own made a big difference in whether the doctor recorded a diagnosis of obesity or initiated a conversation about weight loss.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, when thinking about this I must say that they mentioned Normal BMI..not "perfect" body. This is something that our society has a big struggle with in that many people are at a healthy weight but the are always striving for more. Overexercising, restricting calories...all in an effort to get the body more lean and to see less jiggle. Often, the idea of "normal" or "healthy" to many is simply a number on a scale, followed by what they perceive are imperfections rather than loving the body they have all while taking care of the body that they have for the rest of their life.

For example, I am 5 feet tall (or short) :)
According to the BMI calculator, a normal BMI for me is 90-128 lbs.
I can tell you right now, there is no way that I can feel healthy or achieve 90 pounds and maintain my current lifestyle. I never even want to see myself under 105..no way, never. I love my muscles too much to see 3 numbers on a scale.

At 128 pounds, I would also not feel healthy as I have been there once when getting injured before Kona 2007.

My current weight fluctuates between 108 and 113#. A very comfortable weight for me as I judge my "health" by how I feel. I don't weigh myself very often, but for me, I know that I have 108-113 lbs of a body that loves to cross finishing lines, eat a variety of food and to live life without feeling controlled by food or training.

Next time you examine/critique your body or set goals for yourself, take a minute or two and see if you can find a driving force more than just how you look, when making lifestyle changes.




I hope you enjoy my latest creation that left our bellies SO happy this evening. There was a lot of YUMMING going one..always a good sign that a creation is blog-worthy.

Enjoy and have a great weekend celebrating your holiday of choice.

Kitchen Casserole
Why the name? I used everything I could find in my fridge and freezer...why not? That's the fun part about making creations!

Purple cabbage (chopped) - enough to cover the bottom of a large glass casserole dish
Olive oil (2-3 capfuls)
Balsamic (1-2 tbsp)
Frozen veggies - veggie mix, corn, broccoli
Garlic (3 small cloves chopped)
1 can Hunt's Stewed tomatoes (no salt added)
Red potatoes (I used 4 medium red potatoes)
Your choice of protein - I used veggie "meat"
4 eggs (2 whole, 2 whites) + 2-3 tbsp milk (scrambled
Seasoning: Cumin, pepper, chili powder
Optional: panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cook potatoes in microwave until soft (I used potato setting).
3. When potatoes are cooked, remove and let cool. Cook frozen veggies in microwave on veggie setting.
4. Slice cabbage and place in casserole dish. Toss in olive oil and balsamic.
5. Pour tomatoes into cabbage and combine.
6. When potatoes are cool, slice and place in casserole dish.
7. Add veggie meat (if frozen, cook until soft) and frozen veggies.
8. Pour egg mixture over veggies (it's ok if it doesn't cover everything, pour evenly the best you can).
9. Sprinkle with small handful breadcrumbs and a few shakes of parmesan cheese.
10. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until potatoes begin to brown and eggs are cooked.