Skip to main content

Native Sun inspired Tilapia (Or tofu) wrap and salad



Inspired by the most delicious wraps served at Native Sun, I couldn't get these things out of my head ever since the Trek Event last week. Turkey, tuna (I think?) and the farmers wrap (vegetarian) are typpically served at events around town....and vegetarian or not, people can't get enough of the farmers wrap!
Karel was the one who actually introduced me to the wraps as Native Sun is across the street from the Trek Store (in Mandarin) and he occasionally enjoys a lunch-out....along with cookies from the local bakery in the same complex. :)

I have tried making my own wraps (the actually wrap) but I'm sure most would agree, it is easier to buy. But, I will continue trying. I really do enjoy spending the time chopping and cooking the "toppings" for my wrap as this is where all the flavor comes from.

In the past few years, companies have been offering "wraps" as a more "healthy" items to consumers but many times, wraps are high calorie (often 250-300 calories just from the wrap) and high in sodium. I don't believe in off-limit food and I often love a nice-filled vegetarian wrap but just like with sandwiches or pitas, you can only stuff so much inside a wrap (or two pieces of bread) and like most of you all, I want to feel satisfied with my meal. Often, 1 wrap (often with little fillings compared to a typical trimarni "salad") is not enough. Maybe that's why many deli's and sub shops always offer chips...to give you that little bit of something extra (or perhaps 150--250 calories) that you are missing from your meal?

Therefore, I find it helpful to make a large salad of the "fillings" of a wrap, sandiwhc, taco or pita, especially in the case that you have trouble stopping after 1 or 2 wraps or you remain hungry or unsatisfied, soon after your meal. In this case, filling up with one or two, 100-200 calorie wrap(s) is just enough to compliment the rest of the meal which will provide a balance of nutrients and satisfying calories. For you can only stuff so much in a wrap, why not just use those items as the "bulk" of the meal. This way, no food is off-limit, you can enjoy every last bite of the wrap and feel absolutely wonderful (and satisfied) with your creation.

I'm not a calorie counter because I emphasize real food and I always try to be mindful with my personal "portions" (rather than looking at suggested serving size) and what makes me feel satisfied. But when it comes to foods with a food label and ingredients like wraps, I suggest a 100-150ish calorie wrap (make sure this is for 1 wrap and not for 1/2 wrap which may be advertised as the serving size) with less than 240 mg sodium and at least 2g fiber. Of course, the least amount of ingredients (and more "real" ingredients) is a good starting point.

Here is my latest creation, inspired by native Sun.

Tilapia (or tofu) "spring time" wrap
Tilapia or tofu - cooked to your liking (tilapia was for Karel, tofu for me)
Alfalfa sprouts
Artichokes (canned and rinsed)
Hummus
Feta cheese (sun dried tomatoe)
Purple onions
Arugula
Cooked mushrooms (in oven with tofu, tossed in a little olive oil)