Skip to main content

How I fuel

Ok -maybe that was misleading. I should have said "How I eat."

Well - then again, shouldn't we all be fueling with the food that we put into our body? For everything we eat eventually turns to energy and supports metabolic processes.

Before I continue - I wanted to share my metabolism boosting, energizing cabbage slaw and B6 article from my PLATE NOT PILLS column on LAVA magazine online.

B6 article and creation


On Friday morning (5:15am), I had a small pre-training snack of a WASA cracker w/ a smear of PB and 1/2 banana w/ my coffee and skim milk. I sipped on water on the way to the YMCA near my parents for a leg-shaking, core-on-fire, strength workout. It didn't feel that tough when I started but the lunges, squats, deadlifts (all with free weights) and adductor/abductor machine + core/lower back/hip exercises had my legs shaking as I was putting on my swim gear.
My swim was relaxing. 3 x 1000's - outside. I absolutely love swimming outdoors, especially when the sky goes from dark to light within a main set.

I made a smoothie on Thursday evening (at my parents house) and froze it in a giant mug/cup to consume on Fri morning on my way to Clearwater beach. I left it in my car during my 90 min workout and defrosted just enough to slurp on my hour drive to the ISSN conference. With the smoothie - my favorite mixture of Shredded Wheat cereal + Cheerios.


I couldn't complain much about lunch. The view was priceless and I was in great company as I enjoy my vegetarian boxed lunch (whole wheat bread w/ some kind of cheese spread + sauteed veggies and lettuce + noodle salad + raisin cookie) provided by the Hilton Hotel.
I was not very satisfied with this lunch so good thing I brought an apple and nuts to keep my tummy happy.

There are not too many times in life when you can get free advice from someone who you look-up to but it was great to spend one-on-one time with Dr. Susan Kleiner, author of many books (Power Eating, Good Mood Diet, High Performance Nutrition, Powerfood Nutrition Plan). I picked her brain about how to get started in the "book" industry and she provided me with a wealth of valuable information on furthering my vision and philosophy.

I don't have pics of the happy hour eats on Friday evening but next to the pig-carving station (obviously not Marni friendly), I enjoyed a super yummy made-to-order stir-fry w/ wild rice and the best nutty/seed rolls I have ever eaten! For dessert, angel food cake cubes w/ fresh fruit and chocolate dipping sauce. Oh boy, was I well-fueled for that run on Saturday morning and I felt great going to bed with a happy and fueled belly.

On Saturday, I was treated by James (who I stayed with and an athlete of mine) who prepared the most delicious lunch that I once again enjoyed overlooking the beach (I love fresh air).

Pineapple, corn, carrots and herb quinoa and a tomato w/ basil and fresh mozzarella (and a little balsamic)....oh - so mouth watering. On the side, green beans w/ garlic and almonds and a little oil.
Heaven in my belly.




And Monday night......

Kasmati rice
Steamed - asparagus
Tofu, corn, peas, onions, cilantro, orange and yellow sweet peppers  - cooked on low heat in olive oil
Canned black beans (rinsed)
Canned no salt added tomatoes (basil, oregano)
Arugula

1. In large pot, I cooked tofu mixture in a little olive oil.
2. After 8-10 minutes (Stir occasionally), I added 1/2 can beans to mixture. I also added 1/4 can of the tomatoes to mixture (feel free to save leftover beans and tomatoes if you or your family want extra in their own dish). I added one large handful arugula at the end and stirred lightly and left it covered for a few minutes.
3. Serve 1/4 - 1/2 cup Kasmati rice on bottom of shallow dish and top with veggie mixture.
So flavorful - no additional seasonings needed!





If I could give you one take-home message it would be to consider all your food choices to be fuel. Keep in mind that you are always fueling, repairing and energizing your body. Any food can fit into a healthy diet so long as you are emphasizing the nutrient-rich foods that can be used and metabilzed effectively before, during and after workouts and not overflowing your "gas" tank. Think about it - if you are taking a trip you wouldn't put more gas in your tank than you you need -especially when gas is expensive and that would just be wasteful. At the same time, if you are planning a road trip, you wouldn't start on empty an just wait until the light goes on...you would hopefully fill up the tank and continue to check the status of your fuel as you continue on with your trip.