Skip to main content

Smart with leftovers and frozen veggies


In case you missed my latest article from LAVA online, I hope you enjoy this article on Zinc and the yummy amaranth custard that I created to help boost your immune system (and recover from training).


Since I will be at the hospital all day on Monday, I thought I'd leave you with a few good reads that I have discovered via the facebook:

Chariots of fries - McDonald's and the Olympics


The other day I had an athlete email me for suggestions on quick meals to eat on the go.
Stop there, I thought to myself.

As busy, active individuals, we often try to make our diet work for our lifestyle. But if you think about it, without proper intake of food and water, we would not be able to function very well in life.

Often a disconnect as to how individuals view the diet. Perhaps, instead, we should address the priorities in life and why we feel it is necessary to eat in the car, skip meals, eat at the computer screen, have snacks from a vending machine, eat bars and drink bottles of calories for meals and sit in a line to order a meal through a window.

I understand that we are all busy but to allow yourself 30 minutes at minimum to eat, is something that should be prioritized in your daily life, 3 times a day. For rewarding yourself with enough time to savour your meal, will not only help you with your nutrition journey but you will also find yourself tasting your food rather than just swallowing it - in a hurry to get to the next task/place on hand.


The other day I made a quick stir-fry, thanks to leftovers and some frozen veggies.

In a large skillet, I cooked a bag of mixed frozen veggies, bag of peppers and onions and bag of mushrooms, in a little olive oil.

I had a bag of kale that I used to toss into my stir-fry for some deep color and flavor and like usual, I spiced things up with lots of herbs and spices for antioxidants.

For my protein, I scrambled some eggs. Super simple or you can tofu, beans, legumes or tempeh.

I always try to keep whole grains (cooked) in the 'fridge so this time I had millet which has a plain taste but is delicious in a stir-fry.

To add some flavor, I spooned a little tomato soup in the stir-fry- Karel made soup the other night and had a little left which was just calling my name in a stir-fry.

As usual - I love cheese for the flavor so I topped with some bold asiago cheese (not pictured) and drizzled with olive oil.
Enjoy!