Skip to main content

Triathletes n' Training


Two words. Diet and Sleep. There's really no other way that I would be able to function on a daily basis...for I have a lot of contained and natural energy for life and I want to be sure I perform beautifully on a daily basis....forever. Every day I strive keep my body fueled with food that makes me feel good inside and to rest my body for 7-8 hours, every night of the week. For triathlon training is my lifestyle and not my life. I don't have to be a triathlete to be healthy (not to mention an Ironman lover) so I consider my triathlon training a gift that I have been given for my body allows me to train optimally on a daily basis - so long as I reward it with healthy fuel and adequate sleep.

On Sunday morning, I did a 5 mile run (average pace 7:30 min/miles) just to wake up the legs. Saturday's brick was tough so I welcomed a change in the routine from a normal "Sunday long run".

After my run, my bike took me to the biggest mountain near my place...ok, a hill maybe? Here in Florida, we will take whatever we can get so after my warm-up, I did 10 x bridge repeaters with the highest cadence I could sustain (I was aiming for over 80 rpm) and I stayed seated during each climb. I recovered on the downhill, spinning out my legs with a few deep exhales to rid my body of CO2 and did it again and again and again, etc. As Karel would say "it hurt so good."



Monday was an active recovery day so Karel and I swam at the Y for a drill focused swim - after we woke up without an alarm...ah, love a restful night of sleep. I think we swam around a 2500, primarily focusing on form and efficiency.

Tuesday was a nice twist to the normal routine. Karel's boss, Jeff invited us to join him at the UNF track for a workout at 6:30am. Karel was totally up to the challenge and after he texted me to check my Training Peaks schedule, I read that I was about to be up to the challenge as well. Notes from coach Karel "Track workout w/ Karel". It's nice being married to my coach :)

This is a pic of the certified track which we are not allowed to use but I wasn't able to snap a pic of the other track that we used next door because the sprinklers were on....a refreshing feeling mid workout!

After a few laps for warm-up, we did a lap of dynamic running drills to open up the hips and to further loosen the body.

Main set 3 x 1 mile repeaters at threshold pace. 1 lap (400 meters) walk/jog recovery.

We all started together but with Karel as our rabbit, Jeff and I stayed together and let Karel run like forest....looking like he was trying to break the 4-minute mile! What a speedster!

With Jeff being a lean Ironman triathlete yet former NFL player, he pushed me to be consistent as I was drafting right behind him for each mile repeater.

Jeff and my splits for each mile:
6:22
6:17
6:15

Karel's splits for each mile:
5:50
5:42
5:37

After a few cool down laps, I couldn't believe the amazing workout that we had. I am now giddy for the next track workout as it was a great change in the routine and it felt so great on my legs to be running on a rubbery track. So....workout #1 was complete, now time for the bike.


We drove a few miles down the road to the Beach Trek Store and changed into our bike gear and off we went for a ride along Jax Beach and the Ponte Vedra Beach. Karel and Jeff were riding at a comfortable pace and I was behind them, drafting with a slightly higher heart rate than normal.

Karel and Jeff did a 15 mile TT (time trial) so I wanted nothing to do with that. My set was quality and just perfect for me...
4 x 8 min Z3 upper to low Z4 (the first minute of each 8 min interval was "hard" with a high cadence) w/ 4 min EZ spin.

A fantastic morning of training....which was just the start of a fun-filled, busy day w/ a lunch n' learn and lots of computer work for my coaching and nutrition athletes.

Wednesday - strength and swim. I did several hip and core/lower back exercises before master's swim and was joined by Karel who has progressed exceptionally well with his swim. In the past two months since he started swimming seriously, he has swam 3 times a week for most weeks with most of the workouts dedicated to stroke technique and skills. There have been only a handful of times where he has done "a set" for he has the endurance but it is all about efficiency. When we do sets together, I typically have him doing 50's so that he can get his HR up to improve his threshold but not to fatigue him so that he will lose his form. Karel often joins Masters swim for our coach really helps him with his stroke and he adjusts the workout as needed to meet his needs based on his comfort and skills in the water. There's no rush with his tri-journey for it is all about the skills to make up great performances. Quality not quantity.

This morning was a fantastic workout given by coach Lindsay....
300 swim, 200 IM drill, 100 skull
12 x 50's free (desc every 4) on 1 minute
500 kick (25 fast, 25 free)
Main set 6x's:
300 (75 fast, 75 easy, 50 fast, 50 easy, 25 fast, 25 easy) w/ 15 sec rest
100 cool down (for me - I had to get out early)
Total: 3600 yards


As for fuel.....this was last nights dinner which was so delicious and savory and just bursting with flavor and color:

Jambalaya rice (prepare ahead of time - 20 minutes)
Sweet potato (cubed)
Frozen veggies (broccoli, carrots, peas, peppers, onions, corn, green beans)
Large portabella mushrooms (thick slices)
Tofu
Orange juice (a few splashes)
Olive oil
Ginger (shaved around 1 tsp)

1. In large pot, cook veggies in a little olive oil (enough to lightly cover middle part of pan and add about 1/8 cup water to help with mixing. Cook on low-medium heat.
2. Add tofu while cooking sweet potato in microwave. Stir occasionally.
3. Splash with a few spoonfuls orange juie and add in ginger.
(recommend season with curry, marjoram and chili pepper - or your favs)
4. Serve 1 serving rice (cooked) in shallow dish and toss in lots of the veggie stir fry. Top with cubed sweet potato (Karel and I split a large one)



Be sure you make leftovers for work the next day.....here's my leftover dish that I enjoyed at my hospital, Baptist Medical Center Beaches after helping to teach a 4-hour diabetes class.

I added Kale, parmesan cheese and peanuts to last night's meal. YUM!



Sleep well tonight and dream of this.......