Skip to main content

Whewww. What a weekend

I remember a while back when I use to think of the week as 5 days + 2 days. It was easy to look forward to the weekend, whether it was to train, relax, eat..whatever. But one thing I've learned over the years is that a week that becomes chunky, is simply a rushed week. Life rushes by super quickly and I find it important to enjoy every day you are given. Your life, your actions, your results.



Since Thurs (or late Wed evening), Karel has been enjoying himself in the mountains of North Carolina with a few of his friends.


Yep - he left me and Campy at home and from the looks of it, he is really roughin' it :)


But not to worry - Campy got in some quality training and a little vitamin D as I stretched outside...sporting my new Oakley Women Changoever shades

Saturday morning was an early start with a 3 mile run.
A little change to the normal bike + run, Karel had me running first and right after, getting on my bike for some tempo intervals.
It was an akward feeling to run first but I always enjoy a change in the schedule. The workout looked easy on paper but because the zones were low in intensity, I just couldn't seem to hold them steady.  Maybe my ego got in the way this morning as it is always hard to hold back when you know you can push harder.I suppose Karel is slowly teaching me more about pacing as that is something I continue to struggle with on the bike....but always a work in progress.
2:30 bike
Main set:
2 x 8 min Z4 w/ 2 min EZ
15 min upper Z3 w/ 4 min EZ
18 min mid Z3 w/ 4 min EZ
22 min low Z3 w/ 4 min EZ
20 min low Z3 w/ 4 min EZ
Rest of the ride Z2.

Then off for another run and wow - was it hot out!!
6 miles. 2 mile warm-up. Then 3 miles descending (7:29, 7:18, 7:10). Then cool down.

Lucky for Campy, he got two mini runs this morning....I love having him as a training partner!

Sunday morning was another early start and another new change in my routine.
Karel has been running with the Turtle Run group at Atlantic Beach on Sun mornings for the past two weekends so he encouraged me to go to my first ever group run.

I was excited and not nervous but certainly, a group run at 6:30am on a Sunday made for an early 4:50am wake-up on the weekend.

I ran with Jeff and 2 other guys and although most of the run was conversational, it was certainly a run that kept me at the top of my comfort zone.

Total time: 1:40
Pace: 7:49 min/mile (woah baby - can't do that alone!)
Distance: 12.88
average HR: 140 beats

Splits per mile: 7:45, 7:31, 7:39, 7:41, 7:53, 7:52, 7:53, 7:35, 7:27. Cool down: 8:03, 8:04, 8:06, 7:08 (for last .88 mile)

After the run, I got on my bike for a necessary recovery spin. 1 hour and a speedy 14.8 mile per hour average :)

After the morning workout, I had the pleasure of having a late pancake breakfast w/ my friend/co-worker Susan who is having her baby this week (I will be filling in for her at Baptist Beaches during her maternity leave).

While I was making dinner (or whatever you want to call a meal around 4pm), I was thinking to myself about the yumminess that was about to enter my body. Rather than seeing the food as "fuel" or as something "healthy"...it occured to me that my lifestyle was effectively using the food that I was putting nto my body. Because I am nourishing my body, I am able to live the active life that I crave on a daily basis. Perhaps we can all start taking a more proactive approach to living a more balaned life.



Starch: 1 sweet potato (microwaved)
Veggies: broccoli (steamed), red pepper, corn, onions, garlic, kale
Protein: Tempeh
Whole grain: Millet (prepared ahead of time)
Oil: Olive oil
Seasonings: marjaram, chili powder, pepper, parsley

1. In a large skillet, sautee veggies (except kale) and tempeh on medium heat in olive oil (enough to coat bottom of pan, lightly.)
2. When veggies begin to brown, add kale and toss in a little more olive oil.
3. Turn off heat when kale begins to wilt a little and add seasonings.
4. Place serving of millet in a shallow dish, add veggie mixture and chopped sweet potato pieces (I made lots to have leftovers for tomorrow so I used 1/2 sweet potato and saved the other half for tomorrow).
It's ok to yum out loud when you eat this. Campy was confused as I ate this...way too much yumming.