Skip to main content

Staying strong


Happy Halloween from my cute little spider!!
 
In light of the recent damage from hurricane Sandy, I have been struggling to finish Karel's race report as well as blogging about Halloween Nutrition Tips or talking about my training. I've been updating my Trimarni Facebook page several times throughout the day with articles, tips and motivational posts (be sure to LIKE for daily updates) but I just didn't have the energy to talk about happy events in my life when others are struggling.
 
Early this morning I was voluntarily swimming with access to a pool. I was drinking clean water, I refueled with fresh food and used appliances that were charged with electricity. I drove my car to and from the Y and I was comfortably warm with the cooler temps outside.
 
Throughout today, I have been keeping up with the Sandy aftermath but more so with the updates on the NYC marathon. I typically do not write blogs about my opinion on controversial topics but I do want to express my concern of having a 26.2 mile running race when many people are suffering up North. I feel it is in the best interest of the runners to cancel the event for a marathon experience (let along the NYC marathon) is not just about the miles and the medal. Traveling for a race is all about experiences and making memories. But for a 26.2 mile event, this is a big toll on the body. My concern is the amount of water that is going to be used for the event when many people are without water and heat. IV's, medical and first aid - typical overlooked needs of athletes post (or during) a race yet vital components of the medical action plan to help the many survivors of Sandy's destruction. Eating out, supporting local businesses, keeping the body (and immune system) in good health (and not risking chance for disease with the destruction of the hurricane) and enjoying a race experience to the fullest with an event staff that is experienced and planned for all controllables.
 
This blog post is not designed to make anyone participating in the NYC marathon feel guilty about their decision to run. Certainly, with all that training, you are ready to put your strong body to good use.
 
 
One of the many great things of calling myself an athlete is being able to carry with me a strong passion for life. Obstacles occur every day and for many, they may seem impossible. For the athlete, he/she finds a way no matter how difficult the task is at hand. If anything, the harder the challenge, the more exciting the journey ahead.
 
I posted this quote before Karel's race on Sunday (Rev3 Florida) which turned into a duathlon due to strong winds. The day was expected to be brutal for the athletes due to the forceful winds but I felt so much positive energy from the athletes.
 
In sports, we (athletes) do not stop ourselves from doing things because of the risk of "chance" happening. We take chances every day because we see the outcome of success as something bigger than the chance of something going wrong and things not going our way.
 
Races get cancelled. Races get modified. Training gets disrupted. Yes - life happens.
As we all know, life throws curve balls but it also has grand slams. Could you imagine your life if you never took a chance? Never signed up for a race for the chance of getting injured, the race being cancelled or being sick on race day? No. You sign up for a race for what you hope to become by race day. The finish line is simply a bonus for becoming someone you never thought you could become.
 
In life, we have many controllables and then we have a few uncontrollables that stress us out. Ugh, rain on a race day when the entire week was sunny. Ugh, a flat tire when you have not had a flat in years. Ugh, an upset stomach while running when your nutrition strategy has never failed you.
 
Thinking about the individuals affected by hurricane Sandy, my thoughts and prayers go out to those (both human and animals) who are forced to stay strong.
Donation tips can be found HERE
 
I've learned a lot in life as an athlete. One reminder I'd like to share with everyone is to always be grateful for the controllables in your life. Be thankful for your health, your family, your close friends and your job. Sometimes life will not go as you like and uncontrollables will ruin your perfect plan. But if athletics can teach you anything, never forget that you are strong enough to handle anything that is thrown your way. It may suck at first and you may repeat to yourself "why? This is not fair!" but keep in mind that your worst day may be someones best day.
 
Life  is likely moving on. It is up to you if you want to move on with it. Likely, there will be more races, more opportunities and more chances to show how strong you really are.