Skip to main content

Tabouleh stir fry

In the Sept/October issue of Eatingwell there was a small article titled "Fronds with Benefits"  discussing a few veggies who have a leafy green bonus attached to the top of them. Karel likes to use celery root (the "bulb" of the celery) which is hard to find around our area (we find it at Whole Foods) which is perfect for his Czech soups and recipes, inspired by his mom. I know that celery leaves are super nutritious so I often throw them into my smoothie w/ a celery stick (to help with inflammation). Make sure when you buy the following veggies that you use the entire vegetable:

1) Radishes - radish leaves have a pungent and peppery flavor similar to arugula. A favorite in Asian cooking, they're great in a stir-fry.

2) Fennel - a staple of Greek cooking, fennel's feathery green fronds have a bold anise flavor. Use a little as an herb to season fish or gazpacho.

3) Onions - be sure to make use of the zesty green tops of mild spring onions - try them sauteed in a frittata or minced into a salad dressing.

4) Beets - fans of chard will love beet greens, which have a similar earthy, mineral flavor. Slice them thinly and add to green salads.


Today I taught a cardiac nutrition class at Baptist Medical Center Beaches which from 5:30-6:30pm. This required me to leave my house around 4:30 and after questions at the end of the class, I arrived home around 7:30pm.

As much as I love cooking, I don't like to cook later in the evening or on a hungry stomach. My interval run this morning was a toughy and I really wanted a good dinner to finish off a great day of refueling and fueling.

At 3:30pm, I prepared dinner.

Thirty minutes later, dinner was ready and I called Karel to let him know that dinner would be ready when he got home from work a little after 7pm. This is a habit that I acquired a few years ago after many times of coming home hungry and missing a vital opportunity to nourish and fuel my body with a convenient option (aka cereal). It takes a little planning and creativity but it makes for a great evening knowing that I can come home to a pre-cooked homemade meal.  Enjoy!

Tabouleh stir fry
Bulgur - prepared with olive oil, mint, parsley, garlic (to save time, buy boxed tabouleh and use 1/2 seasoning packet to reduce sodium and bulk up with salt-free herbs and spices from home)

Green bell peppers (2) - thick slices
Frozen mixed bag of onions, pepper and celery
Carrots (bagged, pre-sliced)
Onion - thick slices
Canned pineapple (in juice) - this was leftover so I added it for a nice sweetness, I used about 1/4 can without juice (I'm not afraid to be creative with my food :)
Frozen edamame
Horseradish
1/2 can diced tomatoes w/ basil and oregano
2 egg whites + 1 whole egg

1. Mix the above ingredients (except bulgur and eggs) on a large deep skillet on medium heat with a little olive oil (the water from the frozen veggies will help prevent sticking).
2. Stir occasionally until veggies are soft.
3. Add eggs and scramble in the veggie mixture (may need to add a little oil to prevent sticking unless there is enough extra water in pan from veggies).
4. Once eggs are scrambled, turn off heat and cover.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
6. Combine tabouleh (bulgur mix) w/ stir fry mixture and enjoy!