Skip to main content

Asparagus Casserole


Last week was filled with talks, talks and more talks. It all started on Monday for News4Jax and ended on Friday at the hospital for a busy day of clinical nutrition, seeing patients in the hospital.
On Wednesday evening I spoke about "Train smarter to train harder and reach success faster" to the Hammerhead Triathlon Club. Trek Travel also gave a great talk about their upcoming triathlon training camps which I am super excited about. Karel and I (and his boss Jeff) may have the opportunity to attend a camp this April if all the pieces fall into place so I will fill you in with more details as I feel this is a great opportunity for triathletes of all levels. 



I made some yummy granola bars to give out at my talk as I hate speaking to athletes with hungry bellies. The balls were super easy to make - in a ninja blender (food processor) I combined peanuts, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, oatmeal, prunes, apricots until chopped (not finely) and then in a bowl I added pumpkin seeds and honey. I will give you a yummy recipe soon for my homemade raw bars that I made for my TV segment on Wed. 


Tuesday I had the opportunity to speak to a room of 8th graders for Career Day at Baptist Medical Center Beaches (where I work PRN as a clinical RD). I am always excited to wear my fav tshirt "Trust me, I'm a RD" and I had a blast talking to the kids about all the careers as a RD - speaking, writing, clinical, sports and counseling came to mind but the opportunities are endless. I highly recommend anyone who is interested in helping others with diet and healthy living to seek out a career as a RD and take the steps to earn your credential. It is not an easy or quick road but it will be worth it!


By the time I got home on Friday and finished some work for my business, I was pretty exhausted....nothing that a good night of sleep can't fix but "cooking" was not on my mind. However, I know how good real food makes me feel so it is one of situations where I need to think of the outcome and how it will make me feel after I eat than to think about how tired I am to take a few minutes to prep a nourishing me, fuel my body and most of all, reward my body for what it allows me to do on a daily basis. I didn't become exhausted from doing nothing....my body lets me live a very busy, active and great lifestyle and I owe that to consistent eating and sleeping. 

This casserole is super easy to make! You can certainly add your creativity and use whatever veggies or protein you want. Enjoy my latest yummy creation!!
This serves 2-4 (depending on servings) - we also had rice with this meal. 

1 bunch asparagus (washed and 1 inch stems removed)
Purple onions (about 1/2 medium sliced)
Yellow and red pepper (1/2 large sliced)
Mixed frozen veggies (oriental mix - I used enough to just cover the bottom of the dish)
4 eggs (2 whole, 2 whites) + ~1 tbsp greek yogurt (chobani) (scramble together)
Seasoning - pepper, chili pepper
Almonds for a crunch on top
Shredded cheese
Olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Steam asparagus in pot or in microwave (I did in microwave in large bowl w/ an inch or two of water on "vegetable" setting). Chop into pieces after steaming.
2. Drizzled olive oil on casserole dish (about 2 tsp or so to lightly cover. 
3. Place frozen veggies on bottom of dish. Then place asparagus, onions and peppers on top. Sprinkle with seasonings. 
4. Pour scrambled eggs over dish (slowly - you will not cover the veggies - this is OK). 
5. Top with almonds and a  little shredded cheese.
6. Bake for 45-50 min or until eggs are firm.