Skip to main content

Happy National RD Day!



What a fantastic day to be a RD! Happy National Registered Dietitian Day!!! When you have a nutrition question, where's the first place you go? Do you check the Internet, a blog, or ask a friend? While you may find quick information that way, it may not be the most accurate or practical. Although many people have experience in an area which could make them an expert on a topic, never hesitate to turn to a trusted source: a registered dietitian. We went to school to earn our credentials, to better serve the public. Need nutrition help? Find a RD who specializes in a field that can be of assistance to your personal needs and goals.

As you may or may not know, the RD route wasn't always in my future plans. After obtaining a bachelor of arts degree in exercise science and minor in psychology and then earning a master of science in exercise physiology, I took that extra step that many people have considered "not needed" in order to provide nutritional advice to the public. I never thought I'd have so many open doors with my RD credential but then again, if I would not have dedicated three years of my life to this third career path, I would not have known how to even open those doors. 

My life has changed in so many ways because of my RD credential and I constantly find myself challenged, driven and open-minded in this field. In June I will be celebrating two years of having RD, LD/N behind my name and I am so honored to be recognized as a nutrition professional, among many other amazing dietitians.

Here are a few blogs that I did on my dietetic journey, specifically during the happier times:
RD EXAM RACE REPORT
BEST FEELING OF MY LIFE
NO LONGER A DIETETIC INTERN
12 WEEKS TO GO
DAY 1 of DIETETIC INTERNSHIP


MY TOP REASONS WHY I LOVE BEING A RD!
1) I get to help others reach personal health, body composition and performance goals and still feel like an individual. 
2) I am required to practice by an ethical code set forth by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and I am required to obtain 75 CEU's every 5 years to maintain my RD status so there is no slacking in continuing my education in the field.
3) I have access and opportunities to obtain great information in the field of clinical and sport nutrition.
4) I can never stop learning and I am always finding ways to learn more.
5) I get to meet people from all over the world and help others change lifestyle habits.
6) Everyday I am able to practice what I preach. 
7) Sticking to a personal philosophy is one of the most challenging things an RD can face thanks to social media so I constantly find myself learning how to be more open, understanding and compassionate to ensure the public that they are doing things in a healthy way when it comes to exercise and nutrition.
8) I am considered a professional and thus, I have a personal responsibility to the public to not overwhelm, confuse or mislead the public.
9) I am able to work with athletes, patients in the hospital, people of all ages and fitness enthusiasts and there is never a day that I don't love my "job" and what I can do for others.
10) My dreams have come true in being on TV, contributing to magazines, speaking publicly and owning my own business. Now I need to get on the book dream.....
11) I will always have job opportunities.