Skip to main content

Tempeh stir-fry with Basmati rice

There's food inspiration everywhere and depending on your creativity in the kitchen, the possibilities are endless.

I recently received my first every wok from my brother and his new wife and I couldn't wait to put it to good use.

When I was reading a recent issue of Nutrition Action Healthletter, I came across this page on stir-fry recipes.

 
Instant Trimarni Motivation!!
 
One of my favorite proteins in my plant strong diet is Tempeh. Actually, Karel is the one that turned me to LOVE tempeh after he had a wrap from Nathttp://nativesunjax.com/ with Tempeh inside of it.
I am a big fan of soy (in it's whole form) because it is a complete protein and contains all essential amino acids. So, not only is this ancient fermented soybean food great for my health but tempeh is also protein packed (20g per 4 ounce serving) which makes for a great fuel in my active lifestyle.
 

 
With the following ingredients in my kitchen, it was time to get to work with my wok and make something beautiful for my belly.
 
Rice Vinegar
Olive Oil
Paprika
Iodized salt
Edamame
Zuchini
Onions (white)
White beans
Tempeh
Sweet peppers (yellow, orange, red)
Almonds
Basmati rice (cooked)
Parmesean
 
 

 
Heat your wok to low heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
Add:
Edamame
Zuchini (chopped)
Onions (white) - chopped
White beans (rinsed and drained)
Tempeh (chopped, 4 ounces or 1/2 package per person)
Sweet peppers (yellow, orange, red) - chopped
 

 
Stir occasionally and add additional oil and a splash of water to prevent overbrowning or sticking. Season with paprika, a pinch of salt and any other seasonings.
After veggies begin to soften, add 2-3 capfuls rice vinegar and stir.


 
After 15-20 minutes of letting veggies and tempeh cook, add a small handful chopped almonds and give it a final stir.
 
In a shallow bowl, spoon a few ladels full of veggie mixture and top with  1/2 - 1 cup basmatic rice (or your choice of rice/whole grains - or you can use any type of small cooked potato, chopped). Then mix together.


 
Top with Parmesean cheese and yum your way through your meal.
 
 
And in other yummy news....


 
My recent find at the Bartram Farmers Market....oh my yumminess. The BEST bread I have ever had.
 
A little about the baker from Boutique Du Pain:
"Nana (Chef/Baker) is a graduate of the French Culinary Institute (NYC) and has a worked
 
for Dean and Deluca (the beloved retailer known for its curated selection of artisanally
 
made gourmet products) in NYC. With her knowledge and expertise, she brings to your
 
table breads that are simply irresistible and wholesome."

And her breads:

Boutique Du Pain gives you the opportunity to enjoy a great selection of breads
 preservative-free and additive-free. All Breads are rustic, flavorful and artisanally made
 
from start to finish with French technique.
 
Whole Wheat Sandwich Loaf, White Sandwich Loaf, Bagels, Baguettes, Old Fashioned
 
French Sourdough, Ciabatta, Challah, Brioche, Donuts, Oatmeal Blueberry Walnut
 



 
Also - if you are local in the Jacksonville area, check out Mina's Bakery and her holiday special. There's nothing we love more than our yearly shippment of Czech cookies from Karel's mom in December, but now everyone in our area can enjoy the many traditional types of European cookies.
 
50 homemade European cookies for $20!!!
To order: 904-463-3752