Skip to main content

Fueling for St. Croix 70.3!



5:30am Wed track workout



4pm Wed swim workout

It's no shocker that my busy life is filled with activity and I love challenging my body and mind with a swim-bike-run lifestyle. 
If you are a regular reader of this blog, it's likely you feel the same way about your life (perhaps maybe a different activity/sport)
But my amazing body allows me to do so much, both in life and with triathlons and I constantly remind myself that the food I eat has the opportunity to enhance my life, fuel my workouts and reduce risk for disease. 

Food is so powerful!


In October of 2011, I had the great opportunity to write an article for Ironman called "Fueling Kona: Your Daily Plate" This article was special to me not only because I was able to share my passion for seeing food for fuel and for health but also because I was participating in the 2011 Ironman World Championship and my article was featured during Ironman Kona race week. 

Here are two recent creations that I have used to fuel our active lifestyle. 
24 more days until St. Croix 70.3!!!



A beautiful spring performance boosting salad. Hydrating cucumbers, antioxidant rich sweet peppers, fermented soy protein (tempeh), heart happy avocado, gut healthy quinoa and beans and nitrate-rich arugula.


Roasted red potatoes (400-degree oven, toss raw sliced red potatoes into wedges and toss in a little olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and cracked pepper). Bake for 40-50 min or until golden brown and soft. 


Roasted veggies and toasted quinoa (cooked quinoa added to sliced onions and sweet bell peppers, cooked in 400 degree oven in casserole dish for 25-35 minutes) on a bed of arugula with roasted red potatoes (above) and a side of Daisy brand cottage cheese.

And let's not forget the yummy snacks!


Yum...pistachios.


Yum....Edamame.


A late afternoon/pre-meal plant strong snack that will make you feel great inside and only takes 5 minutes to make, is exactly what you want to crave after a long, busy day of work. 
Pre-washed mixed greens
1/4 avocado
Baby tomatoes 
Baby carrots 
Fruit slices (ex apple)
Cottage cheese (or 10g protein of your choice)
Small handful muesli for a crunch

And with your well-fueled body, how about 10-stability ball push-ups to start your day each morning?


And 10-stability ball tricep dips.