Much of our public is confused and misled by the nutrition information and advice from nutrition experts which ultimately devalues the qualifications and experience among RDs. Today is celebrating the many RD's out there who, by law, can legally provide nutritional counseling.
"Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to increase the awareness of registered dietitian nutritionists as the indispensable providers of food and nutrition services and to recognize RDNs for their commitment to helping people enjoy healthy lives. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day and National Nutrition Month® promote the Academy and RDNs to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically-based food and nutrition information" - Eatright.org
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day key messages developed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities, have completed an internship and passed a national examination.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists use their nutrition expertise to help individuals make unique, positive lifestyle changes.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists work throughout the community in hospitals, schools, public health clinics, nursing homes, fitness centers, food management, food industry, universities, research, media, professional sports, and private practice.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.
When you need accurate, personalized, realistic and practical nutrition advice, it's highly recommended to use the services of a Registered Dietitian. If you are an athlete seeking daily and sport nutrition advice, pursue a RD who is a Board Certified Specialist in Sport Nutrition (CSSD credential).
To find a registered dietitian in your area, visit EatRight.org and click on “Find an Expert.”
Here are a few of my most popular blog posts detailing my long dietetic journey which I pursued after earning a Master of Science in Exercise Physiology:
FDA conference - 1200 hours to go!
Ironman and dietetic internship
Busy intern/IM athlete
At least I didn't serve tofu
12 weeks to go!
No longer a dietetic intern
RD exam report
Breaking news - I passed
My long road to becoming a dietitian