Skip to main content

Homemade Belgian Waffles



Let's talk about waffles. YUM.

This perfectly portioned restaurant breakfast staple provides just enough nooks and crannies for your favorite sweet or savory toppings and goes great with any protein of your liking. What's not to love about waffles?

Although convenient to purchase in the frozen section of your favorite grocery store, there's an art to making good waffles.

(When I cook, I learn so much about food and it makes me appreciate what I put into my body.)

Did you know that good waffles are not made from pancake batter!?!?

Waffles are not just thick pancakes.
Pancakes are floppy, soft and spongy whereas waffles are crisp on the outside and light on the inside. Waffles contain a bit more sugar and fat compared to pancakes to ensure the perfect consistency on the outside and inside.

Knowing this fact makes me appreciate really good waffles!


Now that I have my own waffle maker, I am enjoying the art of making really good waffles.

I recently made Belgian waffles and I totally impressed myself with the final product. Since the last three pieces of my last batch (frozen after I made them) was finished this morning before our morning workout, I'm excited for another go-around at making the following recipe. Enjoy!



Homemade Belgium Waffles
Campy not included in the final product. 

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions
  1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. 
  2. In another bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Add milk, butter and vanilla. Mix well. 
  3. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. 
  4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (I did this by hand - what a workout!)
  5. Fold egg whites into batter. 
  6. Bake in a preheated waffle iron for ~2 minutes on each side (my waffle iron does not require non-stick spray or oil). 
  7. Makes 4 large waffles (or 16 bite-sized waffles)