Skip to main content

It's official...

I was on the NBC broadcast of the Ironman. I will be signing autographs on Wed. Haha-just kidding. How crazy is this! Karel and I have no idea what happened to our HD recording on the IM but some how it got messed up. My Kona get together was great and we had a great time with some of our friends. Smudla (our cat) was the center of attention towards the end of the night, but that is expected from a spoiled cat. I was looking forward to riding with Karel on Sunday morning but I should have known that I would be riding his pace and not mine. Although I've been feeling great on my rides, I've been averaging around 16 mph on my road bike. I think I reach lactate threshold around 18 mph!!! :( Oh well, I'm enjoying riding my bike and I do pick up the pace for intervals, riding with the guys and for longer rides. When we headed out to Landsbrook to meet the group for the 7:30 ride we were a little pressed for time since we left at 6:55am and not 6:45am. therefore, Karel picked up the pace and I stayed on his wheel for our 13 mile ride to meet the group. There was a good showing of people for the ride and I enjoyed chatting with people as we took turns pacing the group. After 2 hours of riding, the group decided to make a stop for water and bathrooms and Karel wanted to keep riding. Plus, for Karel, this ride totally destroyed his power training. According to his power meter, it is amazing how riding in a group with really lower your power (unless you are pulling the entire time). Well, for me I am always working hard in the group so I not only pick up my average speed but I am always working near my threshold. Right now, however, the pace is nice and the rides are enjoyable. When Karel decided to keep going at the pittstop I decided to join him. Opps..I forgot that I haven't trained in a while and Karel is having amazing success with his power training. I felt a little soreness in my rt. leg and I was getting bummed about my lack of power so I decided to head home as Karel continued his ride. I stopped by my parents house to get the IM DVD that my dad copied from NBC on sat. and I ended up with 63 miles for my sunday ride. After a smoothie and breakfast (no pancakes this sunday :( Karel and I watched the Ironman and I loved every moment of it! I was worried that I would get sad about still being injured or that I didn't want to remember to pain I went through during the race but I just love seeing the amazing athletes and hearing all the amazing stories. IF you are reading this blog, I'm almost certain that you taped the IM (how could you only watch it once???). If you were in our house on Sunday you would have laughed how many times Karel watched me coming across the finish line. He thinks I'm a celebrity now. Haha! We both laughed at me. Anyways, go to the very end of the show and with about 3 or 4 minutes left they show athletes coming across the finish line. I am wearing a white jersey (from Zoot) and I have my white zoot visor on my head with my pink oakley sunglasses on top. My head is down so you won't know that it is me but you can see me fall into a volunteers arms. The funny thing is that right when they show me, the commentator mentions the word "PAIN". Oh, the irony.
I can only imagine a bunch of NBC editors sitting around their computers and TV's and checking out the pittiful athletes "Oh this one looks bad, no this one looks worse, oh check out this one struggling...etc." I guess I have learned if you want to make it on TV, you can race the best race of your life but you have to have a memorable finish.
I think we can all think of a time when we couldn't wait to finish a race. However, it is the determination you have during the race which prompts you to have a memorable finish. Be sure to capture and remember you BIG finish no matter how bad you may feel at the end. For to some people, your finish may be an inspiration to others.