I wasn't sure what to make so I searched the fridge and pantry and well, put everything together.
This meal is super easy to prepare and affordable. Even with the rice, you can make this meal in less than 20 minutes and that includes prep! With the protein from the beans and egg and carbs from the rice, this is one balanced and healthy meal to keep your muscles strong and to help you properly recover after workouts.
There are so many health benefits in the ingredients in this salad but I'd like to give some attention to beans.
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) - excellent source of molybdenum and a good source of fiber, manganese, folic acid, protein, iron, zinc, copper and magnesium.
1/2 cup - 130 calories, 2g fat, .5g sat fat, 22g carb, 9g fiber, 6g protein.
Beans - cholesterol lowering, excellent source of molybdenum, loaded with antioxidants, may help protect against cancer, decrease risk of heart disease, stabilizer for blood sugar (beneficial for diabetics) and packed with protein. Depending on the type of bean, some beans have more fiber and protein than others.
Serving size: 1 cup
Lima beans - 10g protein, 13g fiber
Navy beans - 15.8g protein, 10g fiber
Pinto beans - 15.8g protein, 7g fiber
Lima beans - 11.58g protein, 9g fiber
Black beans - 15.24g protein, 15g fiber
Great northern beans - 14.74g protein, 12.4g fiber
Kidney beans - 15.35g protein, 11.3g fiber
Sunny side up, two bean and rice salad
1 box rice (opt for low sodium or use 1/2 seasoning package to reduce sodium)
1 large carrot (sliced)
Tofu - 1/4 package cut into cubes
Corn - 1/2 cup
1/4 cup pinto beans
1/4 cup chickpeas
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 cups dark leafy greens
1. Cook rice on stove or microwave.
2. On a non-stick skillet w/ olive oil, heat to medium heat and cook corn, tofu, beans and chickpeas. Stir every few minutes for even cooking.
3. As veggies are cooking, chop carrots (you may cook them with the beans if you prefer cooked carrots) and your choice of dark greens.
4. Turn off down heat to low when veggies are golden brown. Season with pepper or your choice of seasoning. Do not season with salt, there is plenty of sodium in the rice.
5. Pour veggies into large bowl or plate.
6. Cook 1 egg sunny side up. When egg is finished cooking, turn off eat.
7. Layer your salad! On greens, pour veggie mixture and add 1/2 cup rice. Top with egg.
8. Top salad with spray dressing, salsa or 1/8 cup shredded cheese or 1 slice cheese on warm egg.