I am so excited about my mini-muffin pan. I got it at Wal-mart a few weeks ago. As if my normal-sized muffins got me excited with my creations, everything seems more scrumptious when it is bite-sized. I guess these would be termed "healthy" since I didn't go overboard with the sugar and butter. Even with my buttery-sweet topping, I hope you enjoy this healthy treat.
Enjoy my latest creation.
*I have to be honest...I think these are the best muffins I have made to-date. :)
Mandarin Orange Muffins
1 can mandarin oranges
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup oats
1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp Smart Balance butter
1/3 cup milk
*preheat oven to 350-degrees.
1. Mix together flour, oats, baking powder, nutmeg and allspice.
2. Add butter and brown sugar to flour mixture and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, lightly scramble egg with milk and add to flour mixture.
4. Drain oranges into a bowl while discarding juices.
5. Grab a few oranges and run your knife through them, cutting them into 3rd or 4th's. Add to flour mixture. Continue doing this until all oranges are added to flour mixture. Mix well until oranges are evenly mixed.
6. Spray your mini-muffin (or regular muffin) pan with non-stick spray.
7. Add batter to each muffin tin until 3/4ths full.
8. Cook for 20-25 minutes. You will smell them when they are close to being golden brown.
In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp white sugar w/ 1 tbsp smart balance butter. Mix together with a fork.
Take your fork and rub a bit of the sugar/butter mixture on each muffin (do not pour butter mixture on the muffin). A little bit of the butter topping (about 1/8 tsp) is just enough to add a little extra sweetness to this already sweet muffin.
Nutrition breakdown (using Diet Analysis Plus 9.0)
Total Servings: 27
Serving size: 1 muffin + topping
Sodium: 23 mg
Cholesterol: 8 mg