Skip to main content

Almost Half way

I'm nearing the end of my third week of Community Nutrition and I can't believe I only have 5 more weeks (and 2 days) to go!! Who would have thought that 272 hours of "education" could be so much fun.
I have to say, this internship is keeping me on my toes. I am always brainstorming, learning new information and checking off tasks on my to-do/checklist. I have several dozen assignments for my community nutrition course and although several overlap with each other, I am constantly thinking about my next assignment. I'll be honest, giving a type-A athlete/student the entire list of requirements on the first day of a rotation is a horrible idea. I am not a procrastinator and I hate being late for anything. Therefore, I often feel tension inside my body that I need to get everything done in one day. Well, I'm doing really well with my stress and I have to say, I am really enjoying taking this internship one day at a time. I have quizzes, readings and to-do's on a weekly basis so there is always something to keep me busy and creatively thinking. I am in LOVE with the Professional Version of Windows Office 2010 so I am not finding it difficult to create educational materials for the community.
This week was very educational. Mon I was at Hospice, learning more about food service and the kitchen. After a few hours of learning about meal planning for Hospice patients (I almost wrote Pt's...I feel like an RD!!) we spent much of the afternoon doing a chart for a new patient with a G-tube (feeding tube). I really learned a lot in one day and it was just a preview of rotations to come!
Tues and Wed were busy as I worked on a huge project that I put together for the Unison Facility employees here in Jacksonville. My project is called "Healthy and Balanced Living", similar to my power point presentation last week. I just sent out the pre-assessment, questionnaire and 1 day food log and finished up my lesson plans for the next 3 weeks. Not only am I a dietitian in training but a teacher! I also finished my educational material for week 1 of my project where I will be teaching the participants of my project about macronutrients, food groups and portions. I also created a grocery list for everyone. I hope that this isn't a short-term project because I would love to see other companies using my materials to improve the wellness of corporate employees.
Today was a full morning of chart notes at the Center for Living in St. Augustine. I feel much more confident with my chart notes and I am really getting the hang of things. We had planned lunch-out today so after our morning snack of fruit (which followed my breakfast of warm oats, nuts and berries) we headed to The Present Moment Cafe for an organic, raw food lunch.
http://www.thepresentmomentcafe.com/about/our-philosophy/

My preceptor and I both ordered the same thing....The Sunshine burger!
Open-faced walnut, sunflower, almond, and carrot zucchini burger served over a slice of tomato and dripping with cashew “provolone”. Topped with caramelized onions and served with salad, pickle and chips.



It isn't that often that I can say "I'd like to have the burger".
The food was super yummy but all I could think about was "how can I make this a Marni Creation at home?"

I am not planning on going raw with this recipe but I think I can create a great burger with similar ingredients. I always love a cooking challenge.


How are my workouts going, you ask?

FANTASTIC!!! Last week was just what I needed to recover, refocus and refuel. 6 1/2 more weeks until IMWI!!!
Mon - 45 min endurance swim (30 min continuous swim + 15 min continuous swim) follower by a 1:15 trainer bike (endurance and tempo intervals- great way to start my week!)
Tues - 2 hr trainer bike (over/under intervals and catching up on reality shows on my DVR) followed by a 1.75 mile Campy run (8:40 min/mile pace) and then a 4 mile solo run (7:43 min/mile pace). Light hip/core work afterwards, then icing.
Wed - 8.7 mile, 1 hr and 8 min treadmill run:
Main set: 3x (3x3 min @ 7.8mph, 1 min @ 8.3mph)...3 min recovery after the 12 min. set). 4000 yrd swim to follow (6 x 400's).
Stretching and light strength, quickly after run...late to swim :(
Thurs - OFF!!! WAHOO. Stretched in the morning and early evening.