Skip to main content

2 weeks down!

I can't believe I am already entering week 3 of my acute care rotation. Technically, after this week I will only have 6 more weeks of "interning". This kinda scares me because I still have so much to learn. After my 9 weeks of acute care interning (which followed 5 weeks of long term care), I will have 4-weeks of staff relief to finish up my internship. I have plenty to keep me busy between now and the end of April and I find myself wondering if I can squeeze any more minutes into my long and busy days.

This week I was amazed by what I saw in the hospital. The week started with a Code Blue around 4pm on Monday. All of a sudden I notice around 20+ people, including physicians, family practice, MD's, surgeons, nurses, pharmacists, nurses, etc, rushing to a patients room. I asked the RD what was going on and she told me that a patient was in cardiac arrest. I wasn't able to multitask and work on my case because I was watching the excitement down the hall. I am not sure how the patient is doing but they took him to the ER after they used the defibrillator on him. Talk about an exciting end to my day.

I did my first electronic charting this week and managed to do 3 nutrition assessments during my first real week of clinical interning. I've been spending much of my time on the infectious disease, Cancer and heart/open heart floors but every case is new and I am still getting familiar with reading physician notes, understanding labs and getting the right lingo for my nutrition note. I feel good about my nutrition calculations and finding a good intervention and I just love talking with the patients (that's my favorite part).

So far this week I have seen the following conditions (not limited to):
-kidney stones
-MRSA, Ecoli and UTI
-C-diff
-Cerebral Palsy w/ schizophrenia
-Septic joint
-Left total knee replacement
-Chron's disease (2 cases) with one of the pt's having 80% pancreas, no spleen, no gallbladder and 12 inches of intestine left and the other case in a young patient with abdominal pain. Both pt's were on PPN feedings for nutrition support.
-Open heart surgery pt
-Pancreatic cancer pt
-Renal failure with excessive alcohol abuse (pt was recently discharged with home hospice)

I am amazed by the human body and now, more than ever, I don't take for granted what my body allows me to do on a day-to-day basis. My heart, brain, lungs, kidney's and liver are healthy and my muscles are strong. I am independent, I can move as I please and I'm able to make my own choices when it comes to my diet.

Have you thanked your body today? It's never too late to give a little thanks to the one and only body that allows you to swim-bike-run, sleep, love, cuddle with your furry little one(s), eat and live a quality-filled life.

And, after you thank your body, take a little time to assess whether or not you are making the best choices for your individual needs and lifestyle, when it comes to fueling your body and reducing your risk for disease. I certainly don't want to see any of my blog readers in the hospital for a high risk nutrition assessment!