Skip to main content

Sweet and savory tempeh and mushroom meal

I think I will try to use the word "meal" more often than salad. All thanks to dieting and diet fads, I believe salads often get a bad reputation.
"Oh, he/she must be on a diet 'cause all he/she eats are salads."

Although I don't believe in judging people for their presentable actions, I can honestly say that when I eat my salads, I am satisfied. I realize my salads will hold me over for a few hours as that is my intent..to eat every few hours. However, I am not making salads to "save calories" to indulge later in the day or to allow myself extra room for a pick-me up snack 30-90 min after the meal. Speaking on behalf of Karel and myself, our "meals" are satisfying and work for us. The key is - how will your meal (aka "salad") work for you?


My lifestyle functions at an optimal level because of salads but then again, my salads are not skimpy on flavor, substance and nutritional value. I don't do iceberg lettuce, cucumbers and fat-free dressing. I do meals....a "salad" filled with fuel to keep me energized and healthy.

According to Wikipedia:
"Salad is any of a wide variety of dishes, including vegetable salads; salads of legumes, eggs, or grains; mixed salads incorporating meat, poultry, or seafood; and fruit salads. They may include a mixture of cold and hot items, often including raw vegetables or fruits."

When to eat salads?
"Salads may be served at any point during a meal, such as:
Appetizer salads, light salads to stimulate the appetite as the first course of the meal.
Side salads, to accompany the main course as a side dish.
Main course salads, usually containing a portion of protein, such as chicken breast or slices of beef.
Palate-cleansing salads, to settle the stomach after the main course.
Dessert salads, sweet versions usually containing gelatin or whipped cream."

Interesting: "The word "salad" comes from the French salade of the same meaning, from the Latin salata (salty), from sal (salt). (Other salt-related words include sauce, salsa, sausage, and salary.) In English, the word first appears as "salad" or "sallet" in the 14th century."

I hope you enjoy my latest creation to not only fill your belly but to satisfy both your savory and sweet cravings....

Sweet and savory tempeh and mushroom meal
Tempeh
Mushrooms
Olive oil
Spinach
Pears
Strawberries
Tomatoes
Walnuts
Raspberry vinegarette

1. On skillet, drizzle 1- 2 tbsp olive oil and cook mushrooms and tempeh until tempeh is golden brown.
2. Arrange salad in large, shallow dish bowl.
3. Top with cooked mushrooms and tempeh and top with chopped walnuts and dressing.
Recommend to serve with feta cheese.





"I enjoy real food because it makes me feel good. I eat for fuel, not for calories."