Skip to main content

3-week off season break - recap


There's nothing more rewarding than resting the body after the hard work is over. When it comes to training the body for a start and finish line, it's important to understand that physiological adaptations are being made through pushing the body. Training is not exercise.

We must all exercise for health benefits and for weight control. That's proven through good research.

We do not have to run marathons, do an Ironman or even run in a 5K to be healthy.

But there's nothing more rewarding than setting a goal, working hard for a goal and then being able to let your mind be the only limiter on race day. Having a healthy and strong body is a gift and often something that is very much appreciated during exercise. Therefore, although we do not have to pay money to participate in an event in order to be healthy, it is a great feeling to finish what you started when you had an idea to accomplish something with an active body. 

The past three weeks were amazing. I did not miss structured training and I did not feel that anything special was missing from my life. I reflected, I thanked body and I continued to nourish myself with real food. I moved my body daily but I did not do the following for 21 days:
-No alarms
-No training gadgets
-No body bashing or weighing on a scale (we haven't had a working scale in our home for a few years)
-No off-food lists or out of control/extreme eating
-No exercise structure or "have to" do a certain workout
-No "have to" workout times/duration
-No running
-No sport nutrition products (aside from Hammer Fizz after Kona)
-No anti-inflammatory pills or any other medications/supplements (aside from Whey protein in my "meal" smoothies)
-No comparing myself to other athletes

I finalized my 2014 racing season, I slept a lot, I stretched, I moved my body daily, I stayed busy with my business coaching athletes and working on nutrition/fueling, I traveled and.....

I got a new bike!

Thank you Karel for my new Speed Concept!
How did I go so long without electronic Di2 shifting? 

Here's a recap of the last 21 days:

October 12th, 2013 - Ironman World Championship - 10:37
October 13th - Walking, playing in the ocean
October 14th-15th - 30 min swim in ocean with friends
October 16th - travel home
October 17th - 18th - short walks with Campy
October 19th - 2 hour road bike spin (socializing) + 15 min walk
October 20th - walk with Campy
October 21st - 30 min swim + light hip work
October 22nd - 30 min elliptical
October 23rd - walk with Campy
October 24th - 30 min elliptical + light hip/core work
October 25th - 45 min elliptical, travel to Miami
October 26th - outdoor 20 min circuit + 15 min walk with Campy
October 27th - spectate Karel at Miami 70.3
October 28th - 45 min elliptical (with intervals) + hip/core work and light strength
October 29th - 20 min elliptical + 20 min treadmill walk on incline + core work
October 30th - walks with Campy
October 31st - 45 min elliptical + 15 min treadmill walk (both with intervals) + light strength, travel to PCB
Nov 1st - 30 min road bike w/ Karel, exploring PCB for IMFL and visiting with athletes/friends
Nov 2nd - 2.5 mile run to swim start for IMFL, 2.5 mile run back to house + 17 hours of spectating at IMFL (alarm set for 5:30am, went to bed at 1am on November 3rd)
Nov 3rd - Traveled home from PCB

November 4th - feeling fresh, motivated, recovered and inspired.

This week is all about getting back into structure, no set workouts but instead, structure for my body and low volume/intensity.

After this week, Karel and I will be doing 5 weeks of "transitioning" focusing on strength training, skills, power and form.

(We have created a 5 week triathlon transition phase training plan focusing on workouts, skills, strength training and nutrition which will be available soon for those who are interested in reducing risk for injury, changing body composition and improving efficiency before beginning structured training or any type of fitness routine). 

As for next season....it's all about hard work, smart training, racing to travel and dreaming big. 


MAY 4th, 2014 - Me and Karel



June 1st, 2014 - Karel (I will spectate/sherpa)


June 29th, 2014 - Me and Karel



September 7th, 2014 - Me and Karel 

Stay tuned for the next blog on tips for planning your racing season.