Skip to main content

Anytime Blueberry chia pancakes

Food Freedom. 
It's a beautiful thing. 
When you can eat what you want, when you want and feel better after you eat than before. 
Food freedom means not obsessing about the right time or the wrong time to eat something or having a permit as to the only time to eat something. 
Food freedom means removing the pressure to eat a certain way and not criticizing yourself for "messing up". It means not terming food or bashing the body but instead, enjoying the variety of foods that fuels your lifestyle and nourishes the body. 
I absolutely love pancakes and pizza and many other foods that perhaps, are on the off-limit food list for many people. Certainly I do not enjoy these foods on a daily basis for if I did, I would not yum over them when I occasionally have them. Also, there's a special way that I eat food - all kinds- in that I make sure that when I eat, I am accountable of what I put into my body and I always make sure I portion what I eat so that I feel better after I eat than before. 
There's no guilt, regret or uncomfortable feelings when I eat, regardless if it is a veggie filled salad or warm, fresh baguette.

Food freedom means enjoying pancakes on Monday morning just because it is Monday. Because pancakes taste great every day, why not eat them on a Monday? 

No long workout is needed to justify a pancake reward and by being in control of how my food is prepared, I have the opportunity to indulge and nourish my body, however I like, whenever I like.
It's a great feeling to have food freedom and to love food.  

I invite you to welcome food freedom into your life. To start loving cooking and meal time. 
Learn how to maintain a healthy relationship with food and the body so that you can let food enhance your life and not control your life. Create a diet so that the food you eat energizes your body so that you can work hard for your goals and dreams in life. 

Now, I can not promise you that my delicious "Anytime pancake" recipe will change your life but perhaps you can enjoy these scrumptious pancakes without worrying about calories, fat or carbs and just yum because well, they just taste good and make the tummy happy. 

For many people, accomplishing this may be a life changer. It is incredible special to be able to eat food and love the taste, smells and presentation. This doesn't happen overnight, especially in a very food and body image obsessed society.  But, this is something that is achievable but can be very difficult to achieve when numbers on on the mind (ex. weight, hours exercised, calories, fat, carbs, etc). I encourage you to work on this (or work with a professional who can help) because it is very necessary to develop peace with food and food freedom as you learn how to have a healthy relationship with food and the body. 

I hope you enjoy my latest creation which was fully enjoyed on Monday morning because well, anytime is a great time to enjoy pancakes. 



Anytime Blueberry Chia pancakes

1 cup gluten free all purpose flour (does not have to be GF)
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp coconut (unsweetened, shredded)
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
5 frozen strawberries (cooked in microwave for 20 seconds and then mashed to form a syrupy consistency)
1 egg
1/2 cup skim milk
Water to meet "pancake" consistency
Olive oil

1. Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
2. Heat a non stick large frying pan to low/medium heat (in between). 
3. Drizzle a little olive oil to cover bottom of the pan (I typically use the cap of the olive oil)
4. Stir together all ingredients with a large fork. Add water in 1/4 cup amounts until you meet a pancake batter consistency (between slightly thick and not too runny)
5. Using 1/3rd measuring cup, slightly fill the cup until 3/4ths full. 
6. Pour batter on to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Flip and cook for 60-90 seconds.
7. Drizzle with (real) maple syrup and a dollop of butter. 
(Makes 7-8 pancakes)