Skip to main content

Do you feel "too heavy" for your sport?


With social media/media with much of the blame, it's easy to feel an overwhelming amount of pressure to look differently. With so much misinformation and information overload about healthy eating, alongside a great cultural obsession about body image, it's understandable why so many athletes are constantly trying to change the way they look, by changing the way the eat and train. Although a lot of good can result from changing the way that you eat IF trying to optimize health and performance, it's important to create a sustainable, healthy style of eating - not one that is restrictive, obsessive and based on fearing food.

Do any of the following questions resonate with you?
  • The number on the scale and my reflection in the mirror significantly affects my relationship with food and my body.
  • I have adopted a restrictive diet in an effort to feel control over my eating choices.
    (less choices + less guessing = control ---> less anxiety around food). 
  • I often feel stressed or overwhelmed with food, especially at events, social activities and when eating out. 
  • I feel shame, anxiety and judgment when I indulge. 
  • I give myself permission to indulge only when I meet my expectations for a workout.
  • I don't know what it's like to have a good relationship with food and my body. 
  • I wish I could eat normally. 
  • I often get anxious if I have to eat in front of other people or at places where I don’t know how the food is prepared. 
  • I  have a lot of food rules. 
  • I am a very picky eater. 
  • I never want to eat too much, feel too full or consume unhealthy foods.
  • I don't enjoy eating/food.
  • I have no idea what my body needs to feel fueled and nourished. 
  • I have many negative voices in my head telling me about food and my weight. 
  • My current diet and/or relationship with food affects many areas in my life, such as my social life, activity regime and relationships with others. 
  • I am not flexible with my eating - food is either good or bad. 
  • I constantly feel "too big" to be a successful athlete. 
As a Board Certified Sport Dietitian, I work with many athletes who struggle with their relationship with food and the body. A key part in this type of the counseling process is learning how to embrace fear - relearning how to eat without anxiety. Often times, a fear of of gaining weight causes athletes to limit/restrict food in the diet. Athletes become exceptionally good at restriction, control and discipline. Consequences of maintaining disordered eating extend far more than in personal life (marriage, parenting, work) but it can also result in electrolyte and fluid imbalances, injuries, sickness, low heart rate, bone loss, low blood pressure (fainting/dizziness), depression, anxiety and social isolation. 

As we inch closer into the summer, I encourage you to focus less on what your body looks like and more on what your body requires in order to feel nourished, fueled, energized and satisfied.

As an athlete, you have a great responsibility to take care of your body with proper eating and fueling. Challenge the voices that are telling you that you are "too heavy" and feed your body what it needs for you to live a healthy, active and happy life.