Skip to main content

Altitude Training...sort of!

We will call this week a running week. It is only Friday and I have put in 45 miles of running. After swim practice on Tuesday (4500 yards), my run workout was a 50 min. interval day on the trail (3 x 1 mile repeats at 10K HR pace). Wednesday’s workout was my normal 45 minute spin class that I teach, followed by 5 miles with 6 x 3 min at 5K HR pace. Other than my two interval workouts, Mon, Thurs and Fri have been easy long runs of around 10 miles. No pain in the foot, no sore muscles. However, my bike is being missed right now. Oh well, sometimes you gotta go with the conditions of Mother Nature. With rain on Mon and Tues and a trip to Pennsylvania on Wed, I had no time to get on the bike. No worries cause the past month or so I have put in major miles on my two bikes!
Traveled to Penn State on Wed for Aaron’s NCAA gymnastics meet. His LAST meet ever and I couldn’t be more proud of him. Wed was a crazy day of traveling, with a bumpy direct flight to Pittsburg, apartment looking for my brother, checking out PPG (glass company where he will be working full-time as a business man in June) and then a LONG drive to Penn State. Lots of rain and construction delays to go along with the 3 hour drive that we had. I gladly welcomed the Comfort Inn as my day started at 4:30 a.m. and I was nestled in bed at 11:30 p.m.
Unless I am pressed for time, I usually turn off my cell phone alarm (normally set for a daily wake-up call at 4:40 a.m.) and wait until I am ready to get up. Unfortunately, my body gets me up around 6:40-7 a.m. when I try to sleep-in. As I drank the hotel coffee (not even close to my Starbucks Tall Americano w/ sugar free hazelnut that I love!) I bundled up in gloves, long pants, a windbreaker and a long sleeve shirt, grabbed my Sony Radio (LOVE IT!) and my ear covering. Even though I was running in 37 degree temps, I had a great run and I love running in new places. Aside from country running, college towns are a must for doing long runs. So much to see and because of local shops and restaurants (I love new places to eat!) a 10 mile run goes by really fast. Oh-let me mention the “slight inclines” that use Floridians tend to use when describing hills. I was having lots of fun running up and down the real hills of Pennsylvania and I have a high average heart rate to show for it! This morning was the same mileage but I took my run on a bike path around a golf course (still had the hills of course) which took me around beautiful houses and lots of pretty scenery. To the people here, who don’t know how much I love triathlons and how hard I train, I must look crazy running at 7:30 in morning. Weather this morning was 34 degrees, snow flurries and 10-15 mph winds. Did I complain??? Nope! To me, distance running is like site-seeing. The only difference is that you breathe a little faster than normal, you don’t want to stop and you see a lot in a short amount of time.
Relaxing here in the hotel room before we head to pick up my brother for lunch. The recap from my brothers competition is coming soon.
Although mother nature is trying to mess with all the Type-A athletes out there, I want to wish good luck to all those participating in the following races this weekend:Jacksonville Classic Cycling RaceTri-America Clermont TriathlonEscape from Ft.Desoto Triathlon
Boston Marathon (Mon)Ironman Arizona
*If I forgot anyone....my apologies!