Skip to main content

Family time, good eats

Karel and I enjoyed delicious meals with the family.
Karel rarely eats red meat (maybe once every 3-4 months) but he does enjoy an occasional steak when we go to Outback (pre-race for me) or when we visit my parents.
On Fri evening we enjoyed a beautiful salad w/ spinach and kale, oranges and lots of veggies, corn on the cob, steamed zucchini w/ garlic and grilled asparagus.
My carnivorous family (dad, mom, Karel and Aaron) had chicken for their protein and I enjoyed 2 hard boiled egg whites and 1 yoke w/ the rest of my beautiful meal. I had a big glass of soy milk and a few walnuts and pistachios as I was preparing the salad.



Here's the Grilled Chicken Bruschetta recipe:
Serves 6:
Ingredients:
* 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
* 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
* 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped (my mom used basil seasoning)
* 1/4 cup chopped onions
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/8 tsp. pepper
* 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (my mom used shredded cheese)

Preparation:
Prepare and preheat grill. Brush chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic seasoning. Place on grill, cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes until chicken is almost done, turning once.

Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients except cheese in a bowl and mix well. When chicken is almost cooked, top each piece with some of the tomato mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Cover grill and cook 2-5 minutes longer until chicken is thoroughly cooked.





On Sat evening, we had a wonderful dinner, once again. Steak was on the menu for the meat-eaters and for my main dish (and for others as a side dish) I grilled a tofu alongside a bunch of veggies.
Did you know that 1 cup sliced mushrooms has 44 calories and 3 grams of protein!
I took cherry tomatoes, onion, garlic, mushrooms and tofu on placed them all on a heavy duty piece of tinfoil. I drizzled it with some of my mom's homemade dressing, closed the tinfoil like a package and cooked the veggies on the grill for 20-25 min.
Olive oil balsamic dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons spicy mustard
1-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

We also had grilled asparagus (love it!) as well as a salad and quinoa w/ cranberries.




I never think twice about a healthy and balanced meal on a daily basis but I really prioritize plant-based foods after my long and hard training. Although recovery nutrition is key to restoring glycogen and repairing damaged tissues, the essential vitamins and minerals found in foods with little to no ingredients will help keep my immune system strong and give my body the nutrients it needs to stay healthy during my Ironman journey. Sure, I enjoyed some pita chips w/ hummus, a few pretzel sticks and yogurt and fruit topped with trail mix and cereals during the weekend, after my 3-4 1/2 hrs of morning training, but those come second to balanced and healthy meals.

What a great weekend. The furry little ones (all 3 of them) enjoyed their time.
Two BFF's traveling in the car...Is this normal??? :)




Please take me wherever you go...