Skip to main content

Berry Crunch Cake

When it comes to food, I'm a believer in special occasions and enjoying a little of everything. When I work with athletes on daily and training nutrition, one question in my write-up asks "what are you least looking forward to with your improved/new eating habits".
I'd say, on average, most people say "giving up my favorite foods".
I think we all have favorite foods. Perhaps some aren't so healthy for the heart but hopefully, you have a long list of heart friendly, performance enhancing foods.
If your favorite food is a chocolate chip cookie, 1 cookie, once a week, is no big deal. But if your favorite food becomes a daily indulgence you may have difficulty reaching your training and weight goals. But even if you have your favorite food in a small portion, every day of the week, it's important that you are still consuming a balanced diet and not just saving your calories so that you don't have to give up your favorite treat.
Not sure if it is due to fast food, restaurants, an event for everything or a reason to celebrate with food for every occasion, but it is really easy to enjoy "favorite foods" on most days of the week.
You'd think that having birthday cake once a year is a great way to mark a growing age but it's likely that you have eaten cake on more occasions than just on your birthday.
My mom gave me this recipe and I have to say, after she prepared it for Karel, Aaron (my brother) and me last Saturday, my tastebuds were super happy. I have to admit that this cake was hard to resist on Sunday but I think we did pretty well with portion control.
Although this cake may have ingredients that aren't part of my daily diet, there is nothing wrong with enjoying the cake on occasion. Obviously, if we enjoy foods on occasion and stay true to a healthy and balanced diet that meets our individual needs, you will find it much easier to have a healthy relationship with food and not feel restricted or guilty when it comes to celebrating special occasions.

I think this cake would be PERFECT for a kids birthday party. They would NEVER know that there is fruit inside the cake!! I hope you enjoy...
Thanks to my aunt who shared the recipe with my mom, who shared it with me :)

Berry Crunch Cake
36 oz. any frozen berries
1 yellow cake mix
1 can die uncola (ex. sprite)

Put frozen berries into a 9x13 pan, sprinkle yellow cake on top, pour uncola over all-get all cake wet.
Bake covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, uncover and continue baking for 40 minutes. Let cool completely-do not cover. Spoon fat-free cool whip on top and serve.