Skip to main content

Beautiful weekend away

It's always nice to get away, especially when family and old friends are involved. My training is going great lately and I couldn't wait to ride on familiar roads, down south in the Tampa Bay Area. While in Jax on Fri morning, after finishing a hot, 50 mile tempo bike, followed by a 46 min transition run, I recovered with a campy walk, stretching, ice shorts, a smoothie, more stretching/hip exercises and breakfast. Then came several hours of RD exam studying (with more stretching..I'm very careful not to sit too long as I've learned that my body and hip flexors are not keen on sitting for long periods of time). I was delighted to hear from a high school friend who was in town so Campy and I made a quick stop to visit her and her beautiful 3 kids. After a massive shower outside, I picked up Karel from work and we were off to visit my parents, late Friday evening.
I was super excited for Sat morning and couldn't wait to join the Gearlink group ride. Karel and I drove to Chainwheel drive to meet the group but only a handful of riders were there. It was great to catch up and ride on some of our favorite roads and Karel had an "easy" spin as I lost my legs somewhere after mile 30. With only 7 guys on the group ride (and me), it made for quick rotating and many tough pulls. But nevertheless, the memories of me attempting to finish warm-up with the Gearlinkers around 4 years ago, quickly popped into my head and I couldn't help but smile, as I maneuvered my bike as if I was one with my lovely Trek road bike. After a quick 55 miles, we arrived back at the bike shop and I gathered my stuff for my brick.
As a side note: For my upcoming training, I will be doing many runs off the bike and very few "run only" workouts. I have read a lot of articles from top coaches and my athletes (and myself..although, I am just now getting back into things after my hiatus from structured training due to my internship) who have really seen benefits of running off the bike. I have two key workouts designed for the weekend. One being a transition run where I do a tempo ride, followed by a "run like a kid" run (no garmin, heart rate zones, no concern for miles, etc....) where I just run for time and listen to my body. I also have a faster ride (which may be long in miles but is typically with a group so it is fast) and I follow that with a short but intense run. I call this workout a brick because the intensity is higher than in the transition workout.

After the bike ride with the Gearlinkers I put on my pink fuel belt (I never run without it) and headphones and headed out on my brick run. 10 min warm-up, 10 x 30 sec "fast" with 30 sec "easy" (last week was 5 x 30/30 and I plan to increase time for the "fast" rather than increase intervals) and 10 min cool down. Karel picked me up down the road and we headed home for a relaxing dip in the pool...ahhhhhh, so relaxing!




This morning was a beautiful day-off from training so I could spend the day with my fabulous hubby in Naples Florida. Karel was craving a race post-Athens Twilight, just to shake up the legs and make sure he still had "it" in him. Well, with an 8th place finish and most of the race in the break, I am pretty sure Karel is still riding strong (although, my European hubby hates cycling in the heat!).
Campy had a great time (as always) and even landed on the podium as the number 1, cutest dog in the world..award was a big kiss, given by me.


On the way home, we stopped for gas and spotted a farmers market stand across the street. We picked up several fresh fruits and veggies as I love supporting local farmers!
After another dip in the pool, we had a fabulous dinner with my parents who prepared a healthy and SUPER yummy meal (stew meat for the fam, boca burger for me). YUM!

Corn on the cob, spinach and kale salad, sauteed zucchini, boca burger, fresh bread and quinoa.
Wishing everyone a safe Memorial Holiday. As a holiday to honor and commemorate men and women who died while in military service to the United States, thank you to all who are alive, fighting daily for our freedom so that we can live our life to the fullest.