Skip to main content

Cycle, Run and Bandit fun

Yesterday was a fun-filled day.
The morning started with a beautiful 35 mile ride on TriMarni at Jax Beach. I had a few glimpses of the ocean which made me incredibly happy. After the bike I went for a 35 min transition run and enjoyed new streets, new sights and new faces as I ran along 1st street, just a skip and a jump away from the boardwalks.
I recovered with a super yummy recovery drink (cookies and cream Body Fortress protein powder) and got myself cleaned up for my first ever Retul fit (and first ever professional fit). Jeff Kopp (Karel's boss and owner of the Trek Jax bicycle stores) knows my history so it was very beneficial to have both Karel and Jeff do an amazing job analyzing my body and my current fit.
Here is a little about Retul fitting..a costly purchase but a priceless investment:
http://www.retul.com/about-retul.asp
Karel has been fitting me for years and after the Retul fit, we only had to make a few minor adjustments to my seat post, saddle position and aerobars. We did not focus on aerodynamics as that is a minor concept for many triathletes, considering that many athletes end up with tight hips, overworked glutes and poor cycling skills by trying to be as "aero" as possible. For me, the focus was working with the alignment of my body (particularly hips) and making adjustments based on the differing results of my left and right side, while pedaling. I'm super excited to take TriMarni out this weekend and focus on the few areas that Jeff pointed out as weakness's in my riding style.




After the bike fit I went home to spend the rest of the afternoon studying the Food Service domain for the RD exam (the area that concerns me the most as I prepare for the RD exam).

Around 6pm, Campy and I headed back down to the beach Trek store for the Bandit Beer Run. Every Thursday the Beach Trek store puts on a free 3.5 or 4.6 mile run, ending at Engine 15. Jeff pays for a glass of beer for all of the runners and with over 75 runners (or beer drinkers) at each Thursday night run, it was only a matter of time before this fun run turned into an event.

Last night was the first ever Beer Run race, with the flyer reading "you are paying for the t-shirt, you may as well bandit the run". There was a beer glass prize for the overall female and male but most of all, every runner who paid for the t-shirt (entry) received a wrist band for free beer at every Thurs night beer run. What a great deal!

Campy was well-rested and tapered for his first ever running event. His mommy, on the other hand, was super tired and a little sore. However, I can never turn down an opportunity to make my dog smile and nothing makes him more happy than running with other runners.

Despite many pee pee stops and a poopy stop, Campy managed to keep a great pace and pass several runners on the course. We made it about 2 miles (half way up the bridge) when Campy decided that he needed a break and water. Of course, with no aid stations on the course, I made the call to cut the course short so that I did end up with a dehydrated doggy. I carried Campy for about 1/2 mile as we cheered for the other runners. I guess Campy got his second wind because he was ready to run after seeing the other runners pass us on the last mile to the finish.
With the finish line in sight, Campy sprinted to the finish only to win his division and the overall doggy prize. But no worries that Campy was the only dog, he is still a champion in my eyes.

Not sure exactly how much we did but I think Campy managed to run a tad over 3 miles. Way to go Campster.....I'm so lucky to be your mommy!

Karel finished his group ride with a post-Campy run, celebratory beer. What a great day....I'm already loving this new chapter in my life.