Skip to main content

Carbo-load!

On our last evening in North Carolina, I created a yummy pasta dinner for Karel and his teammate, as well as for myself and my good friend Christi. All for $32 at Harris Teeter (including a case of Yuengling for Karel). One of the great things of having a kitchen when traveling is being able to prepare your own meals. Knowing that a meal for two at a restaurant would cost a lot more than what I spent for dinner for four (including LOTS of leftovers), I find it comforting knowing exactly what I am putting in my body and when it will be served. No waiting for food, no concerns of how the meal was prepared and no waiting for the final check.
Since Karel and myself travel a lot for races, I have become very familiar with eating on the road as well as making sure we are both well-fueled before races.
If you are like me and like a little control when it comes to fueling your body before a race, I suggest finding hotels such as Extended Stay which come with a full kitchen (except an oven). If you are staying in a hotel for a race, I suggest passing on the host hotel and the nice amenities like fluffy pillows, a coffee maker and a down comforter. Although the hotel may be close to the race venue, the price of an expensive host hotel typically doesn't include a microwave (for heating your pre-race oatmeal), a refrigerator (for keeping your food and drinks cool), free internet and free parking.
At some race venues you can find a condo which would be great, but for most races, I would call ahead and request a microwave and/or refrigerator just to put you at ease when it comes to preparing your pre race meal(s). Of course, you can be really creative and heat water in the coffee maker but just don't forget a spoon and bowel for your oatmeal.
Whenever my athletes have an upcoming race (at a new distance), I find it very helpful to send them a pre-race nutrition guide with my suggestions of how to fuel before a race. Many athletes believe that race day nutrition must be perfect in order to reach the finish line but in fact, proper race day nutrition depends on what you do on the days leading up to a race.

I hope you enjoy my latest carb-load creation. Pasta, marinara sauce, asparagus w/ garlic butter, steamed broccoli, sauteed tofu, fresh bread with poppy seeds and sesame seeds and angus beef meatballs for the meat-eaters.





Campy and his best buddy Milo really enjoyed the leftovers at the pasta dinner.