Skip to main content

Hello from Pitt!

After 3 days of unpacking, cleaning and catching up on emails, I re-packed and got on a plane to head up to Pittsburgh, PA to spend some time with my brother, checking out the Pitt area. Already, I love it here and suprisingly, I could see myself living here. Who would have thought???
Today is a very exciting day for my family (who is here with me) because we get to celebrate the graduation of my exceptionally smart and talented brother.
On Thurs evening my brother had plans for us to go to the Pirates baseball game but we ended up having a delicious dinner near the stadium due to a rained-out game.
My veggie wrap with sweet potato fries was delicious!
It has been great to catch up with my brother who I have yet to visit in Pitt since moving here in 2007.
My brother will be running the Pittsburgh half marathon on Sunday (likely in a post-celebration state of my mind) and should do quite well. As a Big Ten High Bar Champion - turned recreational runner, my brother is hoping to break his PR of 1:35 (I think secretely wanting to break my PR of 1:32, gotta love simbling rivalry).
Yesterday I had a fantastic workout at Urban Active http://www.urbanactive.com/trainerfinder/websites/60092/bakerysquare/index.html
and had a hard time leaving the facility after my workout. I absolutely LOVE it here and want to move ASAP!! I love the feel of the city, the urban-feel and of course, the amazing gym facility. My elliptical + run + strength + swim was a breeze and I am super pumped to go again today. Since I won't be running on Sun (in order to cheer on my brother and all the other fabulous runners) I will be running along the course on sun and passing on the indoor treadmill. The half and full marathon course looks amazing and hope to add it to my list one of these days.

While at the expo for the marathon, I had the honor of meeting Jeff Galloway who is a great minded-individual who invented the run/walk strategy of completing distance events. As you may know, I am a supporter of the run/walk strategy for training and my athletes have had great success in improving performance as well as reducing risk for injury. I told Mr. Galloway about my experience in run/walk, specifically with training for IMWI (and qualifying for Kona) as well as having a 4-min PR in a half marathon by training and racing run/walk. We chatted for a while and I thanked him for providing athletes with a great philosophy which encourages a love for running all while reducing risk for injury and burnout.

Well, today is the big day. My brother will be graduating from Carnegie Mellon with his MBA. I am super proud of him as he finishes this journey in his life. After 4-exciting years at University of Michigan as an all-around gymnast (on a full-ride scholarship), graduating with a business degree, to then working for PPG and going to school part-time, to taking an internship in Missouri, to then quitting PPG and going to school full-time, I couldn't be more excited for him as he will be part of the Ernst & Young team in August. Congrats AARON on all your achievements!