Skip to main content

Ramping up

My friend Jennifer came to visit me on Fri. She was registered to race at the BFAST raec on Sat so I welcomed her in my place for the night. She didn't mind my multi-tasking so we ran a few of my errands and picked up her packet at the Trek beach store.
For dinner we discussed going out to dinner but it's never easy going out to eat on the night before a race especially when you want comforting food at an affordable price. Plus, who likes to wait for food the night before a race when an early night of rest is on your mind.
I decided to "make" pizza.
I bought a frozen DiGiorno pizza (mushroom, spinach and garlic) and added everything. I mean EVERYTHING!!
Tofu, broccoli, garlic, tomato, jalapenos, red pepper, veggie crumbles, chickpeas, onion.
I also made a wonderful salad of spinach, feta, grapes, peaches and onion. Balsamic for the dressing.



We watched the tour (DVR) and early to bed around 9:30.

We were all up around 4:20 to get in a pre-race (and training for me) snack and hit the road. Karel had to work at 12 so he decided to bike to the race, spectate, then bike home. Jennifer and I drove to the beach and I was a sherpa for her while she got ready for her race. As she went to beach for the swim start, I went to the car to get my fuel belt for my first long run of the year (since IMKY).
There's nothing better than training and spectating so I decided to run the bike course of the race (and a little extra). The race included a bridge but my legs gladly welcomed a big incline and decline.
All of my friends did great and it was wonderful to share my passion for all things swim-bike-run with the other athletes at the race.





Stats for my run:
16.01 miles
Time: 2:13
Pace: 8:20 min/mile

After the awards (all of my friends got 2nd in age group and 1 3rd place - YAY!!) my friend Doris joined Jennifer and I for my recovery post-run, ride.
EASYYYYY ride and it was great. 15 miles (1 hour) just spinning the legs on safe and quite roads and just chatting about everything.

Jennifer and hit the beach after the ride for a well-need dip in the ocean. The water was rather calm so we just chatted in the ocean for a good 20 min. Lovely.

As for the rest of the day, my dietetic internship was calling my name. Jennifer went home and I worked on a power point presentation and read a little of my first chapter of my community nutrition textbook. I have my first quiz on Fri!!!

This morning came early and my body was tired. First on the agenda was my walk with Campy. We went a little longer than normal so I could wake my body up.
The oatmeal didn't feel so good this morning but I ate it anyways. My body was just tired. The coffee was good however.
Thank goodness Karel joined me this morning. I needed a good 1 hour warm-up but with him by my side (or at my wheel) I was able to get into a good endurance zone for my first long ride of the season (since IMKY).
Karel and I rotated every 5 min after the 1st hour until the 2nd hour. We headed to Penny Farms which has a few rolling hills. Nothing challenging but enough to wake up my tired legs and remind me that I am in the peak of my IMWI training.
I had a few low moments during my ride but Karel helped me through them. He kept telling me that I was stronger than ever before and that I needed to just keep going. It was really windy for a section of our ride and it was just breaking me down (mentally and physically). Karel reminded me that there is no stopping during the 112 miles at an Ironman just because it is windy so I took a little mental break (drafting off Karel) and shook myself out of my low moment.
I think that's what Ironman is all about. It's the journey. You aren't going to have great workouts all the time, maybe not even good workouts. You cherish the good ones and you learn from the not-so-good ones. But more than anything, you get better with time. I have improved so much this year and Karel reminded me that I am faster than ever. Yes, for the first time in a long time we need to work on my endurance but we have spent the last year trying to build a solid base so that I could be faster than ever before. Sure, my fast is not as fast as others but I am training for me and racing for me. On race day I will know what I am capable of and I feel confident that in the next 8 weeks, the endurance will come. One day at a time.
Stats for the ride:
(karel did 3 hours and 45 min with me but then he had to speed home for work at noon. I rode the rest alone)
Time: 4 hours and 40 minutes
Distance: 87 miles
Speed: 18.6

After the ride, it was time for a HOT run in 100 degree heat index (90 degrees). I decided the best way to finish a long weekend was a run with my Campy.
He was fast and ready to run!
1 mile w/ Campy: 8:04 (including pee stops - for Campy :)
Campy doesn't last long in the heat so I gathered my fuel belt and continued my run alone.
Distance (total): 2.36 miles
Time: 19 min.
Pace: 8:03

Well, as you may have guessed....more internship to-do's all day today. My eyes are sleepy and ready for an early good-night.
I'm heading to Orlando EARLY tomorrow morning for an all day conference. It is my first Florida Dietetic Association annual symposium and I am really excited about the talks that I will be attending.