Skip to main content

Ironman and dietetic internship

I'm not sure what is more exciting right now, my internship or how great I feel with my Ironman training.
However, with 26 hours dedicated to interning and 4 hours and 40 min of training in the past 3 days, I can tell you which one is more exhausting .....IRONMAN TRAINING!!
The workouts have been very challenging and with my last week of build ending on Sun, I GLADLY welcome recovery week next week. The internship is going great and I LOVE every minute. I have to admit, waking up at 4:15 over the past 4 out of 5 days has been a bit of a shock for my body. Understanding that sleep is a priority and that a change in schedule requires a big adjustment for my body, I plan to continue taking Mon off and using Thurs as an active recovery or off day. I need my sleep and anything more or less than 8 hrs just doesn't leave me feeling rested and refreshed. However, thanks to balanced and healthy eating, I sure do have a lot of energy to get me through my long days.
Here's a brief overview of my workouts this week:
Tues:
2 hour bike (trainer) starting at 5am
1 hr, Enurance pace 99-134watts (zone 2), including warm-up. Focus is on high cadence. In the Under LT intervals try to stay in right around 165watts.

1min right over the LT (LT=177watts)
5min right under LT
2min right over LT
6min right under LT
1min right over LT
Recover for 15min!
Repeat the whole set 1 more time.
So I really didn't get close to my watts but I gave a good effort. Perhaps my body was still semi-asleep but I was really enjoying myself and the hard efforts. I have come a long way with my cycling and several months ago a set like this (at any watts) would have been unthinkable.
Afterward, time for a run.
4.78 miles:
7:40, 7:49, 7:40, 7;50, 9:50 (with campy, .78 miles).
Oh how I love my runs with Campy. He absolutely loves running fast but our pace kinda slows because he feels the need to mark on every twig and branch. That's ok, I enjoy Campy intervals. Also, I enjoy pooping him out.



After a great first day w/ my preceptor I came home and cooked up some delicious casseroles for Wed and Thurs. While those were in the oven, I managed to get some homework/assignments done. After our meals were cooked, Campy and I both needed a little sunshine so we went for a long walk. I made a casserole just for me and one for Karel. It's so nice to have cooked meals ready to eat after a long day.
Veggie Casserole and Tuna casserole:
Broccoli, spinach, onion, 1 can black beans, 1 can chickpeas, garlic, tomato, 1/2 can low sodium tomato soup, mushrooms, green pepper, 1/2 cup oats, curry powder, pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp flak seeds, 1 tbsp wheat germ
Veggie casserole: 2 eggs (1 yoke, 2 whites) mixed with 1 tbsp greek yogurt, a little balsamic and feta.
Tuna casserole: 1/2 can low sodium tomato soup, 2 cans tuna in water, a little mayo and spicy mustard (mixed together) + 1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp greek yogurt, a little balsamic and feta.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1) Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, except eggs, balsamic, yogurt and feta. 2) Scramble egg, etc. ingredients in separate bowl
3) Take veggie mixture and evenly spread out in 2 separate casserole dishes.
4) For veggie casserole, take eggs and pour evenly over casserole.
5) For tuna casserole, pour remaining tomato soup over casserole and top with tuna mixture. Pour eggs over tuna.
6) Bake the veggie casserole for 30-40 min and tuna casserole for 40-50 min.
Side dish: Quinoa
Top dishes w/ salsa and a little cheese
Tuna casserole:








Wed. came early. 4:20am
Off to the Y for a 5am run and a 6:30 swim. All before a 10am - 8pm day of interning.
Tempo Run:
1 hr and 11 min.
8.6 miles (it's taken me a good 2 months to work my way up to this distance during the week)
Main set (1% incline): 6 x .5 mile @ 7.8mph w/ .25 mile recovery @ 7.5mph
Post set: 10 x 45 sec @ 8.0mph w/ 15 sec. straddle treadmill

Swim (which I was late for so I jumped in on the main set of 8 x 300's)
45 min
2700 yrds
Main set: 4 x 300's w/ 30 sec. rest
4:03, 3:56, 3:54, 3:52

This has been quite a week but I am loving every minute of it. I think what is helping me the most is having a training plan that is realistic and doable. The extra rest day is wonderful and because it is planned I have something to look forward to and I know I am not beating my body up until I "have to" rest.
I think all triathletes and runners enjoy having a plan. A plan of what to eat, how to eat, how much to eat, how to train, how much to train, etc. Perhaps our "planning mentality" allows us to continue along with multisports but come to think of it, I think it is why we enjoy multisports.
Try creating a plan that works for your current life. Don't worry about what you use to do, how you use to eat or how you use to train. Live in the now. Remember, heart-health, progress and enjoyment are key components to reaching short and long term goals.

Perhaps I should stop being so serious all the time...