Skip to main content

Day 1: FDA conference


8 hours down, 1192 to go!

I woke up super early on Mon morning (4:20am) in order to be in the car at 5am to drive 2 1/2 hours to Orlando. I spent a good 20 min. getting together snacks and meals for the day because as many people know, conferences can be a little unpredictable. Although I was attending the Florida Dietetic Association annual symposium, and anticipated a good selection of snacks, I was worried about my blood sugar and perhaps snacking on carbs all day.
I made a veggie burger and egg hash for the car w/ a few wasa crackers and coffee (and water). I also brought with me a packet of oatmeal and a bowl (anticipating hot water at the Ritz Carlton), peanuts, an apple, grapes and a PB&J.

The conference was amazing! I have to admit, I was a little overwhelmed when I arrived but the first talk put me to ease.
The expo was amazing and I have never received so many FREE goodies in my life!!! I was super excited to show Karel all of my foods/snacks and coupons!
I would like to discuss the talks in more detail but I'm a little pressed for time to get to the beach for my first day of my internship w/ my preceptor.

I know health-seekers are always wanting a good read. I don't want to encourage the mumbo-jumbo "nutritionist" stuff by uncredited "experts" promoting a eat this/not that lifestyle so I'd like to recommend a few books that were mentioned in my day of attending lectures. If you have read any of them and would like to provide your feedback for me and the other blog readers, I would love to hear your comments.

1) Switch by Heath
2) Women, Food and God by Roth
3) Man's search for meaning - Frankl
4) Mindless eating - Wainsink
5) Interceptual Awareness - Kaye (I can't remember if this is a book or a study)


And I'd like to leave you with this quote that I head from my talk...
"Your relationship to food mirrors your relationship to life"

Also- I had the privilege of hearing Evelyn Tribole speak. You may have heard of her book called "Intuitive Eating".
She had a quote that really made me think...
"We don't need another diet trial, we need a change of paradigm"

Do you agree?