Skip to main content

IM Kona '19 RR: 112 mile bike

Photo: Justin Luau

After my "moment" with the wind on the Thursday before race week, I convinced myself that I would be just fine in windy conditions on race day. To be honest, I actually wanted heat and wind on race day for a more difficult race experience. After giving the weather forecast a quick look on race day morning, it looked like we would all be getting the true IM Kona experience. Although the weather can quickly change in Kona, it was looking to be a tough day of racing.


Although my cycling skills and fitness has drastically improved over the past few years, I felt my biggest strength on race day was experience. Not only did I know what to expect in certain areas of the course but I also know how low the lows can be on certain areas of the course. I went into the 112 mile bike with confidence and trust in my cycling abilities. I also had great trust in my nutrition as I practiced and fine-tuned it throughout the entire summer. I actually prepared my race day nutrition before we left for Kona so that it was easy to prepare for race day. While I used a variety of products, the application of taking in my planned nutrition was rather easy - just drink. For this race, due to the heat and humidity, my focus was on fluids and sodium and consuming more dilute drinks (less calories compared to IM Canada when it was colder).


As far as the IM Kona bike course goes, it's not a difficult course. Athletes ride on the road (not the shoulder), the pavement is mostly smooth, it's not a technical course and it's pretty straightforward as to where to go. I find it helpful to break it into a few key segments:
-In town: ~7 miles
-Queen K to Mauna Lani Resort: ~25 miles
-Mauna Lani to the left turn at the end of the Queen K: ~7.3 miles
-Short section until veer to the right to Kawaihae: ~1.5 miles
-Climb to the turn around in Hawi: ~18 miles
-Reach special needs at ~59 miles
-Descend Hawi: ~18 miles
-Short section until veer to the left to Kawaihae: ~1.5 miles
-Queen K to the Scenic Point: ~15 miles
-Scenic Point to the airport: ~11.5 miles
-Airport to transition area (via Makala blvd): ~6.3 miles

The reason why these segments are important is because each segment has to be approached differently with the mind and body. While I was monitoring my heart rate throughout the race, I never worried about my power or speed.

My first focus was to get out of town safely and in one piece (me and my bike) as that segment is technical, fast and filled with athletes and spectators). I knew my heart rate would be elevated soon after the swim so I just focused on riding my bike well, keeping some power on the pedals and not trying to go too hard. Of course, even with holding back, power was still up. I wasn't worried as I knew my "race effort" was going to start on the Queen K. It's easy to go out way too hard in town as well as one the start of the Queen K as you get a bit of a push with the wind at your back and you are feeling so good to finally be on the bike. With the new wave swim start, I didn't feel that the Queen K was congested - if anyone was drafting (which there were small groups) it was intentional and not because there wasn't enough room on the road. At this point, I settled into my race rhythm. Throughout the race, I was passed by a few girls but ended up seeing several of them here and there throughout the course (a bit of yo-yo riding). I was riding through small packs of male athletes and getting passed by many strong male cyclists (who I passed in the swim). I tried to focus on making the effort feel good as my game plan was to pace myself so that I could ride strong on the way back on the Queen K (where in the past, I would feel crushed by the heat and wind).

The wind was not noticeable until we got closer to Mauna Lani resort (which is why I use that as one of my segments) and from there to the end of the Queen K, it was very windy with cross winds. I took Karel's advise and pushed hard on the pedals (instead of easing up) and positioned my bike to lean with the wind while moving my body slightly toward the wind. This helped me feel stable and in control. Also, my Ventum rides extremely well in the wind - something I have really noticed since switching from Trek to Ventum.

The next segment was very very fast but then it got windy again during the climb to Hawi. This segment was where I started to feel a few lows but welcomed them as expected visitors and just focused on my rhythm. After the turn around, I made a quick stop at special needs to fill my hydration system and grab two more bottles from my bag (this stop took 30 seconds). A little part of me was a little nervous about the wind when descending down from Hawi but I managed it well by looking ahead at riders ahead of me (to see when the wind would hit them and their reaction) and continuing to push on my pedals. I mostly stayed on my base bars but there were times that I was in my aero bars (when I felt safe to do so). I felt like this was the segment of the race that was really hard for me as my strength is climbing (pushing against resistance) and not pushing a big gear with power. I was passed by several females but thankfully, I knew that a long/steep climb (on the hottest part of the course) was approaching just before the turn back on to the Queen K and I caught back up to those who passed me on the descend.

I felt like I did a great job with my nutrition, which I made sure to keep simple and effective for this race. I took 4-5 big gulps every ~10 minutes. My max HR was 148 (which was in the in-town section, as to be expected) and I averaged 131 bpm for the entire 112 mile bike ride so overall, this was a very aerobic ride. As with any Ironman, you are battling residual fatigue, mental demons, dehydration and slow depletion of glycogen stores so that is why I prioritized liquid calories for the entire bike ride and drenched myself in water at each aid station (which only kept me wet/cool for a few minutes).

When I got back on the Queen K the wind was blowing from the mountains to the sea (my left side). At one point, me and my bike ended up on the shoulder due to the wind - thankfully I didn't fall off my bike (I kinda laughed to myself about the situation). Although I had a few lows in the Hawi section, as soon as I turned and had some resistance (wind) to push against I started to feel really strong. All the guys (and a few girls) that passed me on the descend where now my targets. I found myself feeling really strong and able to stay aero in the wind (turtle tuck!) and then climbing with some pep in my legs. This was a great feeling as I can recount several times of feeling destroyed in the last 30+ miles of the bike.

Once I approached the airport, my attention went from focusing on my race to focusing on the pro race -which was happening on the Queen K and in the energy lab. As a huge fan of the sport, I couldn't help but spend the next few miles trying to figure out who was where and what was happening in the pro race (I did the same thing in Kawaihae). When I turned off the Queen K to Makala, I stretched out my hips and back and started to turn my mind onto run mode. I wasn't so worried about my lack of run fitness from 10 weeks of no running due to my left back/hip issue but instead, I was feeling some tightness around my knee and hip and lower back on my right leg on the bike. I tried to push it out of my head so that I could just stay in the moment. After slipping out my feet from my shoes, I approached the dismount line, got off my bike, handed my bike to a volunteer and then jogged my way through the transition area and to the red gear bags. I then went into the changing tent and had two wonderful volunteers there to help me out as I transitioned into my run gear.

Marni 112 mile Bike - 5:27.49 (5th AG off the bike)Karel 112 mile Bike - 5:23.11

Marni GearVentum One bike
Alto cc40 front wheel
Alto cc86 rear wheel
Continental GP 5000 tires
Specialized Turbo tubes
Giro Aerohead helmet with shield
Socks: CEP ultralight socks
Bontrager Hilo triathlon shoes
Rotor 3d24 155 crankarms w/ power2max power meter
Garmin 810 computer

Marni Nutrition 
Ventum integrated hydration system (1.2 L) - custom INFINIT formula (strawberry lemonade): ~360 calories, 750 mg sodium
Rear bottle - custom INFINIT formula (pink lemonade): ~240 calories, 500 mg sodium
Front bottle - Skratch (strawberry): ~160 calories, 760 mg sodium
On bike (in bento box): 1 Skratch bar and 1 packet chews (didn't consume either)

Special needs:
Custom INFINIT formula in a large throwaway water bottle, frozen overnight (watermelon): ~360 calories, 750 mg sodium
Rear bottle - Carborocket half evil (black cherry): ~220 calories, 284 mg sodium
Front bottle - NBS Carbo hydration (strawberry lemonade): ~200 calories, 600 mg sodium

Water at each aid station for sipping and cooling.

Marni GearVentum One bike
Alto ct56 front wheel
Alto ct86 rear wheel
Continental competition 25ml tires (originally planned GP4 24 ml tubular tires but had two flats before the race so had to purchase new tires from the LBS)
Giro Aerohead helmet with shield
LG Tri Air Lite shoes + Solestar insoles
Shimano dura ace 165 crank arms + 4iii power meter
Garmin Edge 820

Karel Nutrition 
Ventum integrated hydration system (1.4 L)
Front bottle
Gatorade (on course)
SIS gel
Enervitene cheerpack
A few Skratch chews
Czech candy bar

Special needs:
1.4L of NBS Carbo hydration (strawberry lemonade) in throw away water bottle (frozen overnight)
Front bottle

At least 2 full bottles of water from the aid station for sipping and cooling.

As for Karel's race, he was disappointed, frustrated and a bit sad about his bike performance. Without making excuses, he just didn't feel good on the bike. He was dealing with some cramping in his quads, back pain and just an overall emptiness on the bike. This is all stuff that he has been trying to manage and overcome for the past few years after experiencing a torn labrum in his hip. Ever since late May of 2016, Karel has improved drastically with his run but has really struggled on the bike. He kept telling himself that it would get better on the bike but sadly, it never did on race day. Karel's back was hurting so much on the way back on the Queen K that he didn't even think he would make it back to the transition area. He was soft pedaling as easy as possible so that he could get back to town but all while riding in pain. When he dismounted his bike, his legs felt like wobbly wooden poles as he hobbled through the transition area and to the gear bags and men's changing tent. While he knew he would start the run, he was unsure of how his body would manage to run 26.2 miles with the pain he felt on the bike.