My life is consumed by school work right now. Since I start my day with a 90 min - 2 1/2 hour workout every morning of the week, I feel like the harder I train the more productive I am with my school work. Good thing I have an Ironman in two months or else I'm sure I would go crazy with all of my homework, papers and assignments.
There are a few things in my daily routine that I look forward to everyday to keep me happy and enjoying life:
1 - Karel coming home from work. I love 7:20pm. Karel comes home from work (he goes to work at 10:45), I have a meal ready for us to eat together and then we watch TV. Usually Karel is on the computer as I am watching reality shows (by 7pm I am done with the computer) but it is just nice to be together.
2 - Campy. I love being outside and just enjoying the HOT weather with Campy. We take a 15-20 min. walk every 4 hours. Since we live in an apt on the 3rd floor, I don't really like just taking Campy out to pee every 3-4 hours. So, I give myself a mental break from my 8-hour day on the computer and Campy and I enjoy a little sunshine (and sometimes rain). I also love my campy miles. No workout is complete without a 10-20 min. run with Campy.
3 - Training. I don't have to train...I WANT to train. Even though I push hard, I feel so stress-free when I am training. I love my garmin because I run outside ALL the time now. So much more relaxing that running on the treadmill. I look forward to every morning and the workout that I will do to start my day. Even though I have good and bad days with my workouts, I feel so lucky that I can wake up and exercise and enjoy what I do.
4 - Sleep!! I love sleeping! I don't take naps during the day or on the weekend. I blame my schoolwork and the need to be busy all the time. I don't do any schoolwork in the evenings so I can go to bed without anything on my mind. If I have a lot to do the next day, I write it down on paper so I am not laying in bed thinking about tomorrow. I am usually in bed around 9 and out by 9:45. I'm up at 5:15-6am depending on the day but I just LOVE my sleep.
5 - COOKING! Last but not least I LOVE cooking. I would rather workout long in the morning so that I am not coming home from an evening workout, starving and eating a meal that wasn't home-cooked. Some of my meals are boring but I enjoy making creations. I can say that I love cooking every night of the week but I also look forward to traveling when I don't have to cook. And, even when I cook every night of the week, some of my meals are simple like salad and soup or an omelet. I usually know what I will cook at night, first thing in the morning but when I don't have an idea of what to make (I'd ask Karel but he will eat anything) I get inspiration from my friends, the cooking network or the internet.
The first meal is super simple. It takes about 30 min. to prepare but with leftovers this is an easy meal to come home-to after a workout. My friend Katrine made me egg salad on Sun. after my run and she put it in a wrap. It was so yummy so I took her recipe and added a Marni-touch to it.
The second meal is easy. I mean easy. Take whatever veggies you have (and a veggie burger), roast them in the oven! The best part about this meal is you can just chop the veggies, put them in the oven and forget about them. Same thing with the rice.
6 hard boiled eggs (4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs)
1/8 cup Jalapenos
3 cloves Garlic
1/3 of Firm Tofu (in package)
3 Roma Tomatoes
1/2 tbsp. Spicy Mustard
1 tbsp. Olive oil Mayo
1. In a medium sauce pan w/ 3/4 water, boil water on high. Slowly add eggs when water is boiling and reduce heat to low for 10-12 min. When eggs are finished cooking, immediately put eggs under cold water.
2. While eggs are cooking, chop onions, jalapenos, garlic, tofu and tomatoes. Stir together in a bowl (or Tupperware container).
3. Peel eggs and chop 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs.
4. Add eggs to mixture and stir.
5. Add mustard and mayo and a dash of seasonings.
6. Stir and refrigerate until you are ready to eat.
7. Top 1-2 slices fresh bread with egg salad
Cooked Veggies with Long Grain Rice
Any veggies you want (Green peppers, onions, garlic, corn, mushrooms)
Firm Tofu (chopped)
Veggie burger (optional)
Long grain rice
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. On a non-stick pan or cooking pan w/ tinfoil (sprayed with non-stick spray), lay veggies and tofu on pan. If you want a veggie burger, put it on the pan as well. Top with pepper.
3. Cook veggies and burger until golden brown, or around 15-20 min.
4. While veggies are cooking, cook your favorite rice in the microwave or pot. Plan to serve 1/2 cup of rice per person.
6. When veggies are finished cooking, place veggies in a shallow bowl or plate. Top with rice and enjoy!
7. Serve with 1 slice fresh bread and hummus.
I can't resist...