Skip to main content

Couscous-stuffed tomatoes and easy roasted veggies

Last night I spoke to 25-30 members of the TRILEWIS triathlon club in Largo, Florida. The talk was geared towards Long-Distance Fueling. I created a detailed hand out regarding the specifics of pre, during and post training calories and timing of sports nutrition products so that I could spend the bulk of my talk (50 minutes) discussing the WHY's to pre, during and post training rather than just telling everyone to consume x-calories. It's really important to me that others understand how to be an efficient long-distance athlete. Because there are a million articles in magazines and on the internet regarding sports nutrition, I believe in educating people about the body during exercise (in non-complicated terms) and how certain products/foods can hinder or benefit performance. I was thrilled to answer so many fabulous questions by such a passionate group of triathletes.
The best part of the talk was walking into a packed room and seeing 3 of my recipes for the members to try. Even better...I didn't make my creations! Sure, I've gotten lots of emails and comments about my recipes being made by others but to see my creations in real life, made by other people, was such a great treat! 3 wonderful ladies made my zucchini fries, pillsbury pizza dough pizza and chocolate and peanut butter pretzels. I think the members enjoyed them because by the end of my talk, there were no leftovers.








I've been super busy the last few weeks and loving every minute of my jammed-packed days. However, 5:30pm creeps up on me quickly. Before I know it, it's time to turn on Ellen (on my DVR) and start cooking my creations.
While I absolutely love cooking, some days are less creative than others....but always healthy and yummy.
The other night I was in a rush to make dinner, fold laundry, feed the critters (the furry ones), feed 3 fishtanks and sort through my growing stack of papers, mail, magazines and handouts. I decided it was an Oven night so I cut some veggies (onions, zucchini), chopped 2 cloves of garlic, opened a can of chickpeas, sliced some tofu, washed a few whole mushrooms and put them all on a non-stick baking sheet. I also cooked some couscous w/ parsley in a pot on the stove. I preheated the oven to 375-degrees, drizzled some olive oil over my veggies, seasoned them with paprika, pepper and no-salt seasonings and popped them in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
Since couscous takes all of 5 minutes I figured I had a little more time to be creative and with my lack of bright colors in the oven, I decided to steam some broccoli and stuff two vine tomatoes with the couscous. Super easy and quick and after popping the tomatoes in the oven, while the veggies were cooking (about 20 minutes) the crunch of the couscous with the warm tomato was absolutely delicious.

Enjoy my latest creations!