Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche
3 pieces reduced fat croissants
2 tsp horseradish w/ beets
5 stalks Asparagus (chopped))
4 eggs (2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites) + 1/8 cup skim milk
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp feta cheese
4 whole mushrooms (sliced)
1/8 cup onions (chopped)
Basil & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place 1 croissant on a pan (w/ non-stick spray) and press against wall. Spread as much possible. Repeat with other 2 croissants until the bottom of the pan is covered.
3. Spread horseradish sauce on dough (you can use another spread like reduced fat cream cheese, hummus or spicy mustard if you want)
4. Place veggies (mushrooms, onions, asparagus) on dough.
5. Mix together eggs, milk, garlic and feta in a bowl.
6. Pour evenly over veggie mixture.
7. Cook for 30-40 min. or until eggs are firm in middle. Top with basil, pepper and any additional no-salt spices.
I don't like boring salads. Boo for iceberg lettuce, cucumbers and croutons. I think it is perfectly fine to have a salad for a "meal" but just be sure you are giving yourself enough calories and food to feel satisfied and prevent overeating later in the day. Try adding some healthy fat and lean/low fat protein to your greens, in addition to a mix of veggies and fruit.
It only takes 1 extra ingredient or one food swap out to make a boring salad become super exciting. Who would have thought that you could be excited by a salad??
Get creative with your salads so that you can look forward to a little of everything...especially when the "everything" is nutritious!
Here are some of my salad creations:
Cranberry and sunflower seeds
Orange Strawberry Grape
Pecan Feta Chickpea
Veggie burger, Feta Chickpea
Tangerine Strawberry and hardboiled egg
What's your Favorite Salad Creation???