Skip to main content

Spaghetti Squash Lasagna


When in Utah, I was inspired by one of our dinners at the Oakley Women house. It was pasta night and we had a variety of pasta's for every type of dietary preference. We had regular lasagna w/ meat, gluten free/vegetarian lasagna and spaghetti squash lasagna. All but the meat lasagna, I sampled them all and really enjoyed my first taste of spaghetti squash lasagna. I just love the flavors of pizza and you can't go wrong with cheese and sauce so I figured this would be a great creation to try at home.

Wow - it did not disappoint us and Karel absolutely loved it (aka "husband approved"). Feel free to switch up the veggies and use your choice of protein. I had a super busy day yesterday - non stop work after my morning interval run so I tried to keep this recipe super simple. In the morning I had planned for this for dinner so I prepared the squash earlier in the day (I work at home when I am not in the hospital) so that it would be easy for preparing, later in the day.

Enjoy!

Spaghetti Squash Lasagna



1 spaghetti squash (small - for 2 people)
Marinara sauce (~1 cup - for 2 people)
Tofu (1/2 container firm)
Onion (1 medium, sliced)
Garlic (2 large cloves, chopped)
Shredded cheese
Spinach

Allow 45-50 minutes to cook the spaghetti squash.
Squash prep:
-preheat oven to 450 degrees. Use a casserole dish for the squash (recommend a rectangle one)
-slice squash in half (for easy slicing, instead of sticking your knife all the way through the squash, take little slices around the center as the inside of the squash is hollow so it is easy to cut without having the knife go all the way through)
-cook squash for 45-50 min or until top is slightly brown.
-Let cool. Remove seeds w/ fork or fingers and use fork to shred the squash to make "spaghetti"

For lasagna:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2) Spray a large glass casserole dish w/ a little non stick spray.
3) Spoon a little marinara on bottom of dish until lightly covered.
4). Layer with small handful of spinach to cover the sauce, then top with squash (dropping bunches over the spinach - it doesn't have to be evenly covered).
5) Then crumble 1/4 of your 1/2 container of tofu on the squash (if you aren't a fan of tofu, you won't even taste it - however you can use ricotta or your choice of protein).
6) Sprinkle with onions (I used a lot). Then repeat again starting with the sauce and finish with layer of spinach.
7) Sprinkle a little cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes. (In the last 10 minutes I sprinkled more chopped garlic on top).