My exercise, diet and life short-term goals (6 months):
My exercise, diet and life long-term goals (12+ months):
Based on each of your short-term and long-term goals, use this step-by-step process to keep you on track with your goals for 2014.
Example: “I would like to increase my intake of fresh foods and decrease the amount of processed food I eat in my diet.”
1) Why are you setting this goal? Because more fruits and veggies will help to nourish my body
2) What are the risks/benefits and pros/cons of your goal? I can reduce risk for disease, have more energy throughout the day.
3) What will change in your life if you reach your ultimate goal? I will feel more balance in my diet and cleaner inside.
4) What will change in your life as you attempt to reach this goal? I would like to learn how to cook more fresh foods. I hope to improve my culinary skills.
5) Is this a realistic and specific goal? Yes.
6) Do you have a plan of action in achieving this goal? I will replace my afternoon granola bar snack with a piece of fruit in the afternoon to start. Then I will gradually incorporate more fresh foods to my breakfast.
7) Do you have a strong support group? No, but I hope to inspire others.
8) Do you have the right resources to reach your goal? Yes, I have a dietitian in mind who I can contact to help me stay accountable.
9) Are there any obstacles in your way in reaching your goals? Yes. I am very busy with work and I often have an all or nothing approach.
10) How will you overcome barriers before you reach your goal? I know all is not ruined in one day. I will always have at least 1 fresh food option at home to help me get back on track.
11) How will you track progress? I will keep a food log.
12) How will you maintain your enthusiasm for your goal if you being to experience a setback? I will remind myself that some progress is better than no progress.
13) What’s your realistic timetable of reaching your goal? There’s no exact deadline. I hope to continue to explore my real food options like whole grains.
14) How will you celebrate when you reach your goal? I want to cook a 3 course meal for my friends.
15) What will it mean to you when you reach your goal? I know I am improving my overall health so this goal means a lot to me for my quality o life.
16) How will you maintain your success when you reach your goal? I would like to start a blog and perhaps I can blog about my recipes.
As you can see, goal setting can be very empowering but the ability to plan and execute a vision is a powerful process and with the right attitude and course of action, both short-term and long-term goals are within your reach. As you build self-confidence through goal setting, you will learn to create healthy habits of achieving even your most difficult meaningful goals and ambitions.