Skip to main content

Ironman fuelilng in Greenville (recipes and pics)



Despite so many life changes over the past few months, my love, passion and excitement for real food did not dissipate. I am constantly giving thanks to my body for all that it allows me to do, for I know I balance a lot and at any moment it has the opportunity to fail me. 
My love for real food has grown bigger and bigger over the years and the more I am introduced to new flavors, foods and cuisines, the more creative I become in my kitchen.
I appreciate real wholesome food just like I appreciate effective and safe sport nutrition. My daily diet nourishes my body and keeps my immune system healthy. Without my good health, I can not train. Through proper fueling and nutrient timing, I am supporting the metabolic demands of my body and ensuring consistent workouts and a quick recovery. 
Here are a few of the eats that I have enjoyed (with Karel) since we have moved to Greenville, both in and out of the Trimarni kitchen. 




Deli trays given to us by family friends, after my dad's funeral.



Dried fruit tray (with macadamia nuts and almonds) from our friend/athlete Wlad. 

Fresh pears from my friend Taryn. 


Tomato soup (1 can of your favorite soup) w/ cooked tortellini , fresh mushrooms and basil. 
Cook the soup and cooked tortellini together along with the fresh mushrooms. Then add chopped basil and top with a little cheese.

Caprese salad - roasted baby tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil and fresh basil
Add a little olive oil to a skillet on medium heat and add a handful of baby tomatoes (washed/cleaned). Cook for a few minutes, then carefully toss. Continue cooking until slightly toasted.
Add chopped mozzarella (fresh, packaged) and fresh chopped basil and drizzle with olive oil

Pomegranate on main - Persian cuisine
Starter - cheese, butter, mint and radishes served with pita bread

Veggie kabob served with salad.
All items on the menu are gluten free and a salad can be served instead of basmati rice (I shared basmati rice with Karel from his plate and it was amazing! Karel got the Chicken Torsh Kabob)

Simple breakfast 
2 eggs + 1 egg white scrambled with a dallop of greek yogurt. Stuffed with kale and sliced tomatoes.
Toasted bread and fresh fruit.

Deli tray (we aren't sure from where) delivered to us from a family friend.
Salmon (for others to enjoy) as well as a simple salad, tabbouleh and edamame salad.

Tabbouleh and edamame salad
Arugula base topped with tabbouleh (barley and cranberries) and edamame salad (edamame, corn, black beans, sundried tomatoes, red peppers, lemon juice and olive oil).
I served this with a side of cottage cheese for additional protein.

Cabbage with tomato pesto tofu and jasmine rice
Karel made cooked cabbage which is one of his best dishes he makes for me (in a large cooking pot on medium heat, chop a green or purple cabbage and combine w/ 1 shredded potato and a little flour (about a tbsp or two for thickening), chopped onion and garlic in a little water - cooked for 40-60 minutes. Seasoned with salt/pepper to taste).
I made the tofu - cube firm tofu and in a bowl, lightly combine and then toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, pinch of salt, a few shakes of paprika and 1 tbsp sundried tomato pesto powder. Cook on medium heat in a skillet (drizzle a little more olive oil if needed to prevent sticking) for 10-15 minutes. Tofu should not be firm to the touch when finished cooking.
Jasmine rice - I typically use 2:1 ratio of water to rice. We love jasmine rice for it has a very popcorn-like smell and very easy to digest (which is why I love it when I am training for an IM or the night before a race). Topped with parsley from my garden.
I loved mixing the cabbage with the rice - this made the rice super creamy and delicious!


I recently received a large package from Clif Bar after my recent trip to the Clif bar HQ a few weeks ago for the RD summit.  I was introduced to these bars while tasting almost every bar that Clif Bar offered. I am all about real food and you can't find anything closer to real food (in a "processed bar") than these bars. For those who are looking for a gluten free, soy free, dairy free and certified organic bar with minimal ingredients (all that you know) and at 200 calories or less, I know you will love KIT's Organic from Clif Bar.
Although I do not use solid food when I train for the Ironman (Only my custom INFINIT NUTRITION powder in my bottles - 1 bottle per hour), Karel and some of my other athletes need a tummy satisfier when they train and I will add this bar to my list of recommendations (along with hammer bars, lara bars, bonk breaker, clif bar, stinger waffle) if you are seeking a healthy choice to keep your tummy happy (I recommend around 30-50 calories as needed while riding, in addition to your liquid sport nutrition as your primary carb/electrolyte hydration source).
These bars are also a great choice when you need to carry a bar with you while traveling, running errands or in meetings. Also, if you find yourself without a healthy snack on occasion (ex. fresh fruit), this could be an alternative. There are a variety of flavors w/ nuts and/or seeds. I have not found them in stores so if you know of a place to buy them in a store, please email me so I can share with my athletes.



Potato salad
Roasted potatoes (sliced potatoes tossed in olive oil and seasoned with a little salt and chili spice and cooked at 425 degrees for 25-35 minutes).
Cooked mushrooms (on a skillet with a little olive oil) for 10 minutes.
Leftover edamame salad.
All on top mixed greens nd topped with a little shredded cheese. I added greek yogurt (Fage 0%) to this on top for my protein selection.


A great selection of certified SC grown produce. (check out that ginger in the far left!)

So many choices!


YUM!

Tempeh and Broccoli stir fry
Steamed broccoli and cooked tempeh tossed with cooked jasmine rice and topped with cheese. 

Egg casserole with kale, corn and tomatoes
4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs scrambled w/ 1 dallop 0% Fage greek yogurt
Baby tomatoes, kale, corn, mushrooms, onions, garlic - as much as you want of each of these
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and drizzle a casserole dish with olive oil.
Add your veggies into your dish to fill dish 1/2 way full. Season with a little salt, pepper and your choice of seasonings.
Pour egg mixture over veggies.
Cook for 20-30 minutes or until eggs are firm. Top with feta cheese when eggs are finished cooking (oven off) and keep in oven for an additional 3-5 minutes.

Green goddess garden baguette
Crisp cucumbers, heirloom tomato, arugula, goat cheese, shoots, Green goddess dressing (I asked for dressing on the side - both dressings for sandwich and salad were amazing!)

My handsome lunch date

Thank you Trimarni friend and athlete Lisa for the nice gift card to Karel's favorite French bakery here in Greenville, Legrand bakery

Trimarni egg and chickpea salad
5 hardboiled eggs (2 whole and 3 whites - chopped)
1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
large handful baby tomatoes (chopped/sliced)
10 baby carrots - chopped
3 stalks celery - chopped
1/3-1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 - 3/4 cup peas
1/3 cup 0% Fage Greek Yogurt
1 spoonful favorite hummus
Toss together and season to taste with a little salt/pepper. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.

Toasted bread (this is leftover bread from the deli but you can also thinly slice a baguette)
Place bread on pizza tray (I had my bread frozen) and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bread for 5-8 minutes and if slightly brown on bottom side, flip bread (remove pan from oven first). Keep oven light on for if the bread is cooked 1 minute too long it will burn.