Skip to main content

Happy meal.....salad



With so many food options available to consumers, there's really no reason why meal time should be an unhappy time. 

If we ever eat together, you'll notice that I yum a lot. Food makes me happy, especially when it is real food.
I love the taste when ingredients come together and I love exciting my taste buds with new or recently introduced ingredients end up on my plate. 

Almost every day, I make myself a salad for lunch.

Occasionally it is a warm salad (stir-fry) but I typically make a raw salad loaded with vitamins and minerals combined with a grain and vegetarian protein. I find that lunch is the best time for me to load up on veggies as I typically work out in the morning and evening and I don't prefer a lot of roughage after an evening workout and I recover best with a nice mix of carbohydrates (fresh bread, oats, homemade granola, raisins, fruits) and protein (eggs, yogurt or whey protein and milk) for my post workout morning meal.
(I always eat before a workout, no matter the length of the workout - always!). 

 Plus, I find myself enjoying a veggie-filled meal at lunch more so than in the early morning or late evening. I am a firm believer that you have to get to know your appetite and food preferences as knowing when I you will most enjoy and eat your veggies is an important component of meal planning.

 As you can tell from most of my Facebook  pics, I do a lot of stir-fry's for dinner with a mix of grains/starch/potato, veggies, oil/cheese and plant-based protein. There is no shortage of plants (fruits and veggies) in my diet but my lunch meal is often my most plant-dense meal of the day.

I made this salad yesterday and it made me smile. I think it was the starfruit. If you haven't had a starfruit before, it's like a very tart and sour kiwi.

Maybe it's just me but I can't help but smile when seeing stars on my plate...and I get to eat them too!

Here are the ingredients to my happy meal salad:
Thanks to batch cooking on Sunday, most of these ingredients were ready for me so all I had to do was assemble the salad in my bowl. 

Roasted chickpeas with cumin - about 1/4 cup
Tri-colored quinoa (about 1/2 cup)
Park skim mozzarella (more of it went into my mouth while making the salad than on the salad) - about an ounce
Starfruit - about 1/2
Hardboiled egg - 1
Sweet peppers - 3 (1 each; red, orange, yellow)
Onions - chopped to my liking
Avocado - about 1/3
Arugula - big handful
Mixed greens - big handful, then chopped
Lemon juice and olive oil - quirt of lemon juice, drizzle of olive oil