- 1/2 bag (6 ounces) or 4 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 small white onion (thinly sliced - first cut in half and then slice)
- 1 cup edamame (without the pods)
- 1/8 cup chopped cashews
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Sour cream + a dash of Italian herbs (or your choice of creamy spread or dressing - I suggest something tangy/sour to compliment the Brussels sprouts)
- Wrap (or pita) of your choice
Shredded Brussels sprouts wrap with cashews, edamame and onions
The start of building a great relationship with food is to eat a variety of food. The more you restrict your diet, whether intentional or unintentional, the greater chance you will lose an appetite for food and perhaps even a general dislike for eating.
Expanding your palate by introducing your taste buds to a variety of real food textures, tastes and combinations will foster a great relationship with food (not to mention a mega boost in health and energy) but to start, you must stop the rigid rules about food and to improve the way you view, speak and feel about food.
While I have not yet learned to appreciate the taste of raw Brussels Sprouts, I won myself over with my dinner creation last night as I could not stop yumming with every bite.
As I was randomly constructing this creation, I had no idea what this dish would taste like when it became a final product.
But that's what I love about cooking - new food combinations that will excite my taste buds.
That is what I also love about eating - I give myself ongoing opportunities to nourish and fuel my body but also to make my tummy happy.
This dish would make for a perfect lunch or dinner meal.
I made sure to give you ingredient quantities that would allow for leftovers as this also makes for a tasty and healthy side dish to any meal.
This dish is vegetarian but you could easily make the following swaps.....
-Vegan - use a vegan based spread
-Gluten free - use a GF wrap/pita or use a different starch option (ex. wild rice or quinoa)
-Meat lovers - add an animal protein like shrimp, bacon or chopped steak
Shredded Brussels sprout wrap with cashews, edamame and onions
1. In large non stick skillet, on low to medium heat, sauté onions and Brussels sprouts in olive oil (enough to lightly coat the mixture and prevent sticking) until golden brown (about 8-10 minutes). Lightly toss every few minutes to keep from burning.
2. Add room temperature edamame and toss for 2-3 additional minutes but on low heat (I suggest to warm frozen edamame in microwave for 45-90 seconds until soft).
3. Turn off heat and add chopped cashews and salt/pepper to taste. Give it all a few tosses to evenly combine.
4. Spread a layer (to your liking) of your dip/dressing/sauce on your wrap (or inside a pita).
5. Place a few spoonfuls of your veggie mixture in the middle of the wrap.
6. Fold the outsides (right and left) of the wrap into the middle and then take the front of your wrap (closet to you) and start rolling away from you, while keeping the outside edges (right and left) tucked inside.
7. Enjoy your delicious wrap and don't forget to yum!