Skip to main content

Snow! A weekend of indoor training and lots of yummy food



In case you didn't hear......



It snowed in Greenville, SC!
It was so pretty to wake up to a white backyard. 



However, Campy was NOT happy when he woke up Saturday morning and discovered all the white, cold stuff outside.

Clearly, he is not impressed with the snow. 



Campy was not interested in walking anywhere that had snow on the ground so it made for an interesting morning for him to find the perfect spot to do his morning business. 



As for the rest of the day, Campy made himself comfortable in the warmest spot in the house. 

Since Campy stuck to his routine of resting all morning, we stuck to our routine of training. 

Karel stationed himself in the fit studio where he was entertained with multiple screens and his Cyclops virtual training and Bkool Pro Smart Trainer app for a little bike trainer fun.



I had our at-home-gym all to myself to suffer and sweat with nothing but me and some jamming music.

Karel wrote a great bike trainer workout for me, which looked more innocent on the white board than it really was when I got to the middle of the main set. Sneaky sneaky.

WU: 40 minutes (first 10 minutes EZ, then build each 10 minute to upper Z2)

Pre set:
6 x 1 minutes at Z2 - increase the cadence to very fast, no breaks between.
5 min EZ spin
6 x 2 minutes at Z2/Z3 - increase the cadence to very fast, no breaks between.
5 min EZ spin

BREAK:
Jumped on to the treadmill for a 30 minute form focused run.

MS: (Back on the trainer)
Big gear work - 55-65 rpm

4 x 2 minutes - increase resistance on each segment. No breaks between.
5 min EZ spin
4 x 3 minutes - same
5 min EZ spin
4 x 4 minutes - same
5 min EZ spin
4 x 3 minutes - same
5 min EZ spin
4 x 2 minutes - same
5 min EZ spin


Cool down


On to the treadmill (again) for 20 minutes form focused running.

Total brick workout (Marni): 2:25 bike + 50 minute run.
Total bike workout (Karel): 2:45

After my workout, I made myself a yummy pancake and smoothie breakfast. We relaxed for an hour on the couch and then it was time for work (small business - always working).

Eventually, I made myself useful in the kitchen for some baking. 



I adapted my recipe from Cooking Light.


Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins

Makes 12

Ingredients:

1 2/3 oats
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup spelt flour (you can use whole-wheat flour or your choice of flour)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 large eggs
2 cups frozen mixed berries

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
  2. Place oats in a food processor and pulse a few times until oats are coarse. 
  3. Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Stir well with a whisk. 
  4. In a small bowl, combine the milk, oil, lemon juice and eggs. Stir well with a whisk. 
  5. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture. 
  6. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until moist and evenly combined. 
  7. Fold in berries. 
  8. Spray muffin dish with cooking spray. 
  9. Spoon batter into muffin tin. Fill to the top. 
  10. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 
  11. Remove from the oven and let cool on wire rack. 


For dinner, I made semi-home soup. The key to a good semi-homemade soup is roasting veggies ahead of time, before adding to a can/box of soup. It gives the soup great flavor. I sauteed mushrooms, eggplant, red peppers and tofu in a skillet before adding to a box of tomato basil soup. 



So good!

After a good night of sleep (no alarm to wake us up), we started Sunday morning with a pre-workout snack (and coffee and water) and then it was time to train again. 

I performed my long run on the treadmill and Karel went outside (Brrr). 

I love running on the treadmill so it was no trouble for me to get my 1:45 hr run accomplished at home, inside, in my controlled environment (especially when it is 18 degrees outside!). I incorporated some short 30 sec intense efforts throughout the run for neuromuscular firing.

Karel warmed up on the trainer and then went outside for his 90-minute long run. He said it was super cold. 



After my workout, I refueled with a delicious whey protein, milk, strawberry and banana smoothie and a warm homemade blueberry and oat muffin smeared with Irish butter on top. So good!

After a few hours of working, Karel and I gathered motivation for our afternoon 3200 yard swim workout, which actually wasn't that bad. Like usual, we always enjoy our Sunday swims after they are finished but it's often hard to get the energy to get out for workout #2 on Sunday after a long week of tough training. We swim every Sunday, which means we swim at least 4 times per week.

For dinner, Karel made fish and had leftover soup and I was in the mood for pizza. I improvised with warm Naan bread smeared with marinara sauce and cheese and a nice salad.



It was a great weekend of training with lots of yummy food consumed to keep our bodies well fueled and nourished.