Although there is great research explaining the benefits of the morning meal, breakfast can be difficult for many reasons. While lack of time or appetite rank among the top two reasons why it can be a struggle to eat first thing in the morning, I find that many individuals suffer from breakfast burnout.
Every morning it's the same thing for breakfast; eggs and toast, oatmeal, nuts and fruit or a smoothie.
While your breakfast option may be working for you, overtime you feel less inspired and motivated by breakfast and you begin to not look forward to your morning meal. But despite needing a change, every breakfast recipe that you find on the internet appears too complicated and unappealing and thus you are back to eating your same-old boring breakfast options.
If you are looking for something easy, healthy and delicious to eat for your breakfast meal, I have the perfect creation for you. While it does require the use of a microwave for heating and refrigeration if cooking in advance, your taste buds will enjoy love the combination of ingredients in this meal. And the best part, all you need is one-skillet when prepping!
- 1 package frozen spinach (thawed until soft)
- 1 small container pre-washed sliced mushrooms
- 1 small white onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 3-4 small yukon gold potatoes (washed, microwaved until soft and cut into chunks)
- 4 eggs
- Salt, pepper, paprika, cumin - to taste
- Olive oil - 1-3 tbsp
- Optional: Cheese, sour cream and salsa for more flavor
- In a large deep skillet, pre-heat to low/medium.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and chopped onions. Toss and cook for 3-5 minutes, until slightly brown.
- Reduce heat to low and add mushrooms. Toss until mushrooms become soft.
- Add spinach and stir to combine. Add more olive oil if/when needed.
- Add potatoes and season to taste. Add more olive oil if/when needed
- Crack eggs into skillet (no need for a bowl) and scramble once all of the eggs are in the skillet. Continue to scramble for 2-3 minutes. (If you would like to make a frittata, you would scramble until the eggs become evenly distributed over the potatoes/veggies and then cover with a lid until eggs begin to rise).
- Turn off heat. Top with cheese, salsa and sour cream before serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.