Skip to main content

Don't forget the small things



It's a common occurrence. The injured athlete is dedicated to physical therapy in order to get back to training and once the athlete is "healed," daily rehab exercises are pushed aside. Little does the athlete consider that these rehab exercises are now beneficial as prehab exercises - to reduce the risk of a future injury (or re-injury).

With this being my 13th consecutive season of endurance triathlon training and racing, I won't lie - I've made my fair share of mistakes and very stubborn decisions during my early years. Triathlon has been an incredible hobby for me because it's taught me a lot about patience, hard work, time management and structure.

In today's society, epic workouts and big results are easily highlighted. We often see the highlight reel instead of the behind the scene moments. This often leaves us feeling like results are easy to achieve so long as you work hard.

As I train for my 15th (IM Canada) and 16th Ironman (Ironman World Championship) this summer, I am no longer constantly chasing longer, harder or faster. Sure, I'd love to cover the 140.6 mile distance in a faster time but the way to do is not necessarily through harder or longer training. With such a great aerobic base under my belt, I need to put my focus/energy into areas that will make a significant difference in how my body adapts to training. Therefore, what I do between training sessions matters a lot for it's the small things that continue to help me improve. The daily mobility work, strength training, good sleep, proper fueling/nutrition and mental skills are contributing to big picture goals. I'm confident that through these little things, the big things will eventually fall into place.

Here are a few small things that I'm focusing on right now to help me consistently train and better adapt to training. Although they don't take much time or energy, they are easy to dismiss if not a daily priority.
  • ~5 minutes a day of mobility work on my back/hips and neck/shoulders
  • 3-4 sessions a week of strength training (full body)
  • Daily glute/pelvis exercises to help with my running
  • ~3-5 minutes of warming up before I start a cardio session
  • Making sure I stay well-hydrated on a daily basis
  • Making sure I eat "enough" on a daily basis and support my training sessions appropriately with proper fueling/sport nutrition before/during/after workouts. 
  • Spending a few minutes to clear my mind before my workouts to help me stay present and attentive. 
  • Getting off the computer/phone at least 90 minutes before bed. 
What small things are helping you in your personal athletic journey?