Skip to main content

Grandpa Joe: A life well lived


On Sunday evening, we lost a beautiful soul. Just shy of 96 years, Grandpa Joe touched the lives of so many. While it's never easy to say good-bye to a loved one, Grandpa passed away peacefully in his sleep - without suffering from any disease or illness. Certainly, a goal of us all to live a long and fulfilling life!

When I was dating Karel in 2006, we traveled to Reno to bike around Lake Tahoe.



I remember how worried Grandpa was about us and spent the entire day awaiting for our arrival. We finished the ride with ice cream - Grandpa's treat. Then for my honeymoon in 2009, Karel and I traveled back to Reno in the winter and Grandpa loved that we could share a bit of his hobby on the ski slopes.


My grandpa took up skiing at the age of 50. He taught his three daughters and all of us grand kids how to ski. His long-time wish was to be cremated and for his ashes to be scattered over Mt. Rose.


Karel loved hearing stories of “way back when” and Grandpa had a way of making Karel feel part of the family from the first day when they met. Then again, they did bond over a good alcoholic drink.

Grandpa always supported my active lifestyle and loved Karel. He would constantly tell me "Marni, you picked a good one."

I remember when I told Grandpa that I fainted before the IM 70.3 World Championship in 2017. I told Grandpa I got up too quickly out of bed. Grandpa saw this as a valuable lesson. He told me, "Everytime when you get out of bed, rub your head for a minute or two. This will help you so that you don’t get out of bed too quickly."

Grandpa loved being independent. It was very important to him to maintain his independency for as long as possible. It wasn't until this last year that he was admitted into a nursing home.

Grandpa embodied resiliency. While I didn’t know Grandpa personally when he was young, I do know that he survived a lot. He was in the Army and Navy in World War II and earned a purple heart.


He was our resilient Joe. We even named one of our coffee blends after Grandpa.


Many of my friends were blessed with the opportunity to meet Grandpa Joe but here are a few things that will always remind me of Grandpa:

Beer and wine – It was hard to turn down an invite when Grandpa opened a new bottle of wine. He didn’t like to drink alone.

Photography – Grandpa loved to capture memories. There was always an opportunity to take a picture. Grandpa loved his camera. And not just a phone......a real camera. He would often develop pictures and turn them into cards that he mailed to family members.

Good food – Grandpa had a tremendous appetite! Especially salmon and nuts. I couldn’t believe how much food he could eat at a buffet! Grandpa spent the last two years in Fort Wayne, IN (where my aunt and uncle live) and Grandpa was part of a group called the ROMEO'S - Retired Old Men Eating Out. It was a great opportunity for Grandpa to connect over good food with "old" people in the community.

Good music – Classical and jazz were some of his favorites. He had a lot of great stories from his upbringing in New Orleans.

Reading – Grandpa had an exceptional mind throughout his entire life. He was a great reader. He would always tell me how proud he was of me and my writing and that I should one day write a book. He was so proud of me when that dream came true.

Quick with his words – Along with his sharp mind, Grandpa was great with words. Giving a speech on the fly was one of his specialties. Grandpa would often email me witty sayings and kind words after reading our weekly Trimarni newsletter. For example, when Karel became a US Citizen this past September, Grandpa emailed me and said “Karel now that you is one of us you can now listen to our tales of woe or pay our bills. Just really want to say – Congrats and much good wishes. Love Grandpa.”
And when I wrote about bike safety tips, Grandpa said “You sure are “wheeling” in the right way. And when I wrote about stretching the comfort zone, he said “How true it is-You always want to delay the learning curve of uneasiness. Put it off till tomorrow!!!!” Stretching the comfort zone is always needed if you want to be successful!!!!” “And lastly, for the holidays, When you see Merry give her my love and also to you two. Much LOVE-Grandpa”


Memory - Grandpa remembered everything. Before Karel and I went to Whistler, Grandpa told us where we needed to visit (the Glacier) and could recall specific details of the ski town. Everytime Karel and I traveled, Grandpa always had a recommendation for us.

Naps – Grandpa was an exceptional napper – anytime, anywhere. While this may be an old age thing, this was one of the many things that Grandpa excelled at.

Skiing - Grandpa moved from Cleveland to Reno, Nevada to be closer to the mountains. For anyone who has lived by the mountains or travel to the mountains, you know how therapeutic nature can be during any season. Grandpa loved the snow and the slopes. I’m so happy that he was able to live so many years in a place that made him truly happy, with someone who he truly loved (Barbara) in his second marriage after my grandma passed away from breast cancer. Grandpa didn't care for snowboarders....of course, three of his five grandkids picked snowboarding over skiing.


Smiling – Grandpa could always find something to be happy about. Genuinely, he was a positive and joyful person. After my dad passed away, I lost the person who I spoke with on a daily basis. This was quickly replaced by Grandpa as I always knew he was just a phone call away.

Dancing – Grandpa was never shy and loved to shake his hips on the dance floor.

Smart - Grandpa was book smart and life smart. As an engineer for several phone companies, he had wisdom and knowledge of everything. He truly had an answer for everything!



Great story teller – Grandpa had a unique ability to tell stories with such great detail.
Had a vivid and sharp memory. I can only imagine that Grandpa and my dad will have some great discussions and will continue to share stories together.


Grandpa was loving, supportive, kind – he was never judgmental but he was also never shy to express his opinion. He always reminded me that life is all about being happy. If something doesn’t make you happy, don’t do it. He had a great sense of humor (often a bit vulgar), loved being around family and really enjoyed making social connections. He was extremely active all of his life and even in his later years, when he was no longer able to ski, he turned to other modes of activity like Tai Chi and sitting in the hot tub. He was brave, courageous and he also had a lot of pride in customs and traditions.



Although we will all miss Grandpa Joe tremendously, he lived a long and happy life, surrounded by people that meant the world to him. He had a special way of making everyone feel special.


We will always love you Grandpa Joe and we will never forget the impact you made in this world and the many lives and hearts you touched.