Skip to main content

Quicky wrap

I'm sure we all share the same story of life "not enough time".
I'm quickly realizing that my idea of balance is gradually shifting to a 'just get it done' philosophy. I'm still getting quality sleep but my bed time moved from 9 until 10. I still wake up at 4:30 but there have been several shortened workouts due to being tired and needing more sleep. Exercise/training is still a priority but I am just aiming for quality workouts with no big expectations. New Orleans 70.3 should be a fun and great race for me but the Ironman World Championships is my main focus.
As for my life at the moment, I'm mentally stimulated during my 9 hours of interning and come home with a completely exhausted brain, only to squeeze in a few more hours of work. The motivation is certainly lacking in the evening but there just isn't enough time on the weekend for me to do work. My weekends are 100% devoted to reading, studying taking quizzes. Speaking of which, I have my mid term due by Mon at 9am and it is 150 questions and a time limit of 2 hours. Just thinking about it is making me exhausted.
Throwing in food prep, campy walks, catching up with Karel over dinner and trying to stay somewhat connected to the outside world, I find myself clicking off the last few weeks of my internship as if I'm running 15 mph on the treadmill. 8 months down...9 weeks to go! Last official day is April 22nd but my "interning" will end in 5 weeks (which means no more projects, papers and assignments for my binder!!). I will then have the final exam for my internship and nothing else to worry about until I take the National Registered Dietitian Exam (sometime this summer).

Last night I found myself studying for almost 1 1/2 hours as soon as I got home from Nemours. It was almost 7pm and Karel would be home from work and ready to eat. I knew it was close to dinner because I was getting hungry and with only 10 minutes until Karel came home, I needed to make some quick, healthy and easy. I am happy to say that throughout my internship, we have not gone out to eat nor ordered out/gotten take out. I am fueled by my own creations :)

This meal came to me rather quickly because both Karel and myself LOVE wraps. Rather than preparing some type of meat for Karel, I opened the pantry to find chicken and rice, vegetable soup. PERFECT!!
With a leftover stir fry for me, I had two easy meals prepared in less than 10 minutes.
Enjoy!


Quicky Wrap


1 can soup (drained) - save the liquid for a broth or for marinating
Mushrooms
Chickpeas
Corn
Hummus
Whole wheat tortilla (I found these at Winn Dixie on sale. 100 calories, whole wheat)
Dark Greens
Cheese
Spices (no salt)

1. Drain liquid from soup can. Pour into a bowl.
2. Cook soup with veggies for 90 sec (cover to prevent splatter)
3. Heat tortilla for 15 sec (or you can give a light toast in the oven)
4. Spread with hummus. Top with cheese and spices.
5. Add greens and a few large spoonfuls of "soup" mixture.
6. Fold and Enjoy!






Inside my wrap:
Broccoli
Mushrooms
Tofu
Garlic
Chickpeas
Corn
(not pictured dark green medley)