Skip to main content

Apple Chia pancakes


We had 4 amazing, strong ladies in town this weekend (from Jax) so there was a lot of riding this weekend....but I will save that for another post because pancakes are on my mind right now (and in my tummy). 

To summarize our weekend: 9000+ feet of climbing, 8+ hours of riding and 135+ miles of riding in just two days! Wow, thank you body!!

As you can imagine, there was a lot of attention on sport nutrition, hydration and eating over the past 72 hours in order for our bodies to tolerate (survive) and adapt to the weekend training load. 

After our workout on Saturday (73 mile bike for the group and for Karel, Jen Vogel and me, a 4 mile run), we all cleaned up, cooled off and started our refueling with recovery drinks. It's always fun to talk about training when it is over but the body deserves to refuel as soon as possible to ensure a healthy body for the next day of training. 

To ensure that my friends (and Karel and me) would be well fueled after our Sunday ride, I decided to make pancakes on Saturday (late) afternoon so that they would be ready for consumption when we were ready to eat post workout on Sunday. 

What a genius idea!! 

There's nothing better than having a home cooked meal ready for you but let me tell ya, it's even BETTER after a 5 hour workout! 

I hope you enjoy my delicious apple chia pancake recipe, made from scratch and prepared with Trimarni love.
(I also made plain pancakes, some basic ingredients but omit the apple and chia seeds)

Apple Chia pancakes
(makes 10-12 pancakes)


1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour (you can use Gluten-free flour)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp butter (melt after measuring)
1 apple (washed and chopped)

1. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and chia seeds. 
2. In small bowl, whisk together egg, milk and vanilla. Preheat your skillet (I used two large skillets on separate burners to speed up the cooking process). 
3. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir in butter (should be melted before adding). Add a little water if needed.
4. Stir in chopped apple. 
5. Spoon ~1/4 batter into skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes and flip, cook 1-2 more minutes.

Topping ideas: 
Yogurt
Maple Syrup
Jam
Nut butter
Hazelnut spread
Coconut (shredded)
Granola
Dried Fruit



I am a firm believer that we should always eat with a purpose. For myself, I love eating for fuel and for health. But I always find pleasure in eating whether it's a salad or something a bit more indulging (and everything in between). 
Pancakes have a special place in my heart because my dad loved pancakes, straight from Aunt Jemima's box. 
My dad took this picture (above) of his pancakes a month after he was diagnosed with stage IV cancer which ended up taking his life 10 months later. He sent me the following text. 


Food, meal time and my kitchen are all positives in my life. 
I never find myself not smiling when it comes to the food that I choose to put into my body. 
Food makes me happy, it fuels my lifestyle and it keeps me well.
My dad always had such a great sense of humor in life and he was always so good at making me smile and laugh. 
I sure do love pancakes but now I have an even better reason to always smile when I eat them. 
Thanks Dad.